Chapter 31; Two birds [part 1]

Dark, seemingly satisfied with this decision, settled back down to finish up his sandwich as Wilford shoved the rest of his cookie into his mouth, earning a tired but bemused look from Dark. Wilford gave a slight giggle, picking his things up and heading out. He tossed out his cookie wrapper, now taking out his secondary weapon, his sandwich, and gnawing at it as he made his way down the dark oak hallways.

Unlike the hallways to his Darkling's room, there were portraits of the other ipliers. Bim with his shark finned hair, smug expression and perfect suit; Damien, his suit professionally tucked, his expression neutral and with eyes that followed Wilford across the room; then an empty frame, at which Wilford stopped at for a moment. He started at the empty tan background, the glass reflecting Wilford back at himself. The nameplate was untouched, dust gathering from years of unuse.

This saddened Wilford slightly, but he continued down the hallway, resuming his now medium-hot sandwich.

He continued on, passing by Hosty Toasty's picture, which featured the man with bandaged eyes posing with a slight frown- but in that mysterious way that Host was known to do- that poor photographer, Host intimidated him so badly that they had to do Host on a second day. Dark also scared the photographer but dropped the dark and scary man thing to get the pictures done- focus!

Focus!

Wilford decided to stop staring at the portrait and made his way to the beautiful door that contained the man inside it. Wilford reached for the golden handle only to feel a rope over it. He picked up the sign attached to the door and read it:

"Enter quietly, speak softly, and perhaps I will not waste my breath telling you to leave."

"Well, isn't that just a pleasant invitation?" He questioned, setting the sign down then backing up. He took a small run up and kicked the door open, posing happily in the doorway. He looked around and saw one [1] Host, turned around at his desk, sitting in his rotating chair and giving Wilford the deadliest glare someone could manage without eyes.

"I should have remembered that you are not capable of reading."

Host muttered quietly, turning back around and facing his desk as Wilford entered, closing the door behind himself.

"I can read just fine Hosty! Really, what's with the sign?"

"I expect Bing to interrupt my work, the sign is to prevent him from doing so."

"Why don't you just...make him not..?"

Wilford questioned with a chuckle, taking a bite out of his sandwich as the Host stood from his chair, placing his hand on his desk as he took a deep breath. Most would consider those soothing, Host considered them the only alternative to getting in an altercation with Wilford.

"I forget you have a mind like a sieve. Must I remind you the extent of my powers? Or can you not comprehend things other than eating a sandwich and walking at the same time?"

Host questioned, already agitated. He sighed once again, closing his eyes to shaking his head, but, when he opened his eyes, Wilford was by his side, peering into his open book with drying ink.

"Ooo, who is him?"

"Get away from that! You and your Grammer disgust me!"

Host exclaimed, pushing Wilford away with a groan.

"I'm not as absent-minded as you may think..I can use big words...although running it by me might be...convenient."

"Wrong word, but I suppose, I will oblige...begrudgingly..I am able to control people and peer into their heads, but this power is limited, there are 4 people I cannot control. You, for your labyrinth of a consciousness, Dark, for his sheer power, Him...and Bing..his mind is chaotic, disorganized, a mess."

"Nice exposition dump."

"Get out."

Host demanded, pointing to his door before crossing his arms over his chest, displeased.

Wilford finished his sandwich, licking his fingers. He cleared his throat, shaking his head as he swallowed his last bit of sandwich.

"No, where were you for the meeting today?"

"I was here, as you could likely deduce on your own...but you were discussing trivial things that need not concern me."

"Y/N is all of our concern."

"Y/N is your concern, I have other things to address."

Now it was Wilford turn to exhale, exasperated with his household member.

"What is with you? You are so....unemotional!"

"Emotions drive your day. See how it is fitting you?"

"You don't have any emotions! At all!"

"Suh dude!"

Wilford and Host looked over at the doorway as Bing stood there, giving a big grin as he held out one arm, a skateboard in the other.

"Oh, so now you arrive. Great, fantastic."

Host muttered, defeated.