Chapter 14- Clear Sunlight

—————

Iida woke up to clear sunlight peeking through the curtains on his window, and judging by how the sun was already up in the sky, he deduced it was a nice Saturday morning. He shut his eyes again, averse to the sunlight.

He yawned, lazily stretching his right arm to the side to pick up his glasses and a bottle of pain medication, swallowing two pills dry. He then rubbed his eyes, wondering where all his energy went.

Then bam! He suddenly remembered everything: inviting Sho over, eating dinner, staying up late. He groaned. Why did he agree to stay up until midnight, when he knew that maintaining a proper sleep schedule was crucial for a healthy lifestyle?

...But he did remember Sho saying that they might not see each other again, which Iida didn't understand. Couldn't Sho just come back to Musutafu another time? Although there was a chance his guardian wouldn't like it. Point is that Iida stayed up late talking with Sho.

 Iida did end up regretting it though. He was glad it was the weekend, or else he didn't know how he would end up getting out of bed.

...But then again, did he really regret it? He enjoyed his time with Sho. 

Iida immediately shook his head. No, breaking his sleep schedule was akin to a crime! He shouldn't have followed along.

But he was sure Sho enjoyed it too... he guessed. Iida wasn't really sure. He's seen Sho express disgust, anger, embarrassment, or just be completely blank. He's just never seemed... happy? Content, maybe, but never in a way that was obvious.

In other words, Iida's never seen him smile before. He's seen Sho's eyes sparkle at the soba they ate, and he heard the smugness in his voice when Iida was ordered to get the cookies, but his lips never quirked upwards

Maybe Sho just didn't like smiling. Still, Iida couldn't help but worry about Sho's opinion on last night. Did he leave already? Iida couldn't bear the thought of Sho leaving in the dangerous night.

To check, Iida tried pulling himself upright, slowly, as to avoid feeling too much pain in his chest and abdomen. It didn't work. He still winced, chest suddenly struck with an ache. He couldn't wait for the pain medication to kick in, or at least until one of his parents came in to help him up.

Oh well. Even if Sho didn't leave at night, it was daylight now, and he would've left then. Iida knew should be resting anyways, since this was his first full day to recover.

He would just need to wait to see if Sho would visit again, just like how he needed to wait for his brother to heal and his friends to get back from their internships and for Stain and his sidekick to get caught.

Iida shut his eyes, once again frustrated at everything that's ever happened in the last few weeks. There was nothing left to do but mull over last night's conversation.

——

School came by quickly again. It was nice, seeing all his classmates chatter away about how their internships went, and what new things they'd learned during it. Iida didn't have much to add to the conversations, but he was fine with that. He wouldn't want to anyways.

So he just listened silently, giving half-hearted chuckles every once in a while and lying about how he got injured. 'Confidential information,' everybody called it.

Midoriya also never mentioned what happened. Either the questions were shot down, or the answers were twisted. Iida was grateful, though knew that the reason Midoriya was hiding it wasn't for his sake.

But the point was, it was like the Stain incident never happened. It was like Iida didn't fight with Stain and Midoriya never came to rescue him and the only evidence it ever happened were files in a box and wounds on his body.