Darker Things

25th December 1994

He leaned himself against the wall closest to the doorway. Not in a measure to escape, but rather, to hide himself from anyone stupid enough to approach him and wish him a 'Merry Christmas' with a fake smile while his mood felt so foul.

And Crabbe and Goyle could fuck off, as well.

Revellers walked past him, their excited chatter echoing around the walls as they took in the decorations around the Great Hall. The ice sculptures and the band that had been hired for the special occasion.

Yule Ball.
What a stupid fucking name for a celebration to celebrate a stupid fucking series of games.

And he just knew St Potter would be absolutely loving the attention.

St Potter and his followers.
A load of kiss-arses who were only friends with him or supporting him because of the stupid fucking scar on his stupid fucking head.

Draco huffed, folding his arms across his chest as his shoulders sank further back against the wall. He had never felt more invisible within the walls of Hogwarts than he had so far this year. Everyone choosing to follow Diggory or Potter meant that his ability to remain relevant had been fading lately... but he did what he could. Mainly, causing shit for Potter and giving him a hard time, just because he could.

That past-time was currently Draco's favourite.
Always had been.

"There you are-"

He always heard her before he saw her. Only this time, he couldn't miss her either, especially in the outrageously frilly number she appeared to be wearing.

And it was pink.
Surprise, fucking surprise.

"I've been looking all over for you." She told him as she moved students out of her way on her approach towards him, ignoring the snotty looks and tutting that were aimed in her direction. "Krum and the rest of them will be here in a minute and rumour has it that Fleurs dress robes are so short they barely meet the top of her thighs."

Well... when Pansy put it like that ...

He allowed her to drag him a little further towards the doors of the hall, where a small crowd were already gathered and waiting for the Champions to arrive. There seemed to be a nervous energy around everyone, which Draco found especially odd. They were only students taking part in a game... they weren't fucking celebrities.

"Who did Krum ask to the ball?" Draco heard Pansy whisper to Daphne as they came to stand just behind the girl.

"I'm not sure." Daphne whispered back in reply, giving Draco a small nod in hello. "I've not heard anything. She had better not be prettier than me though, I have plans to catch his eye by the end of the night."

Draco snorted. "Oh yes, because krum is going to take one look at you and full instantly in love, isn't he." He deadpanned, shaking his head. "The reality of that happening is slim to none Daph, I hope you realise that."

"Why wouldn't he?" Daphne asked defensively, throwing Draco a dirty look. "I happen to be at least the third prettiest in our school year, thank you very much."

"And exactly who told you that?" Draco asked her with a smug grin.

"Theodore." She told him matter of factly. "He's made a list."

Oh, well of course it would be Theodore fucking Nott, wouldn't it.

The same Theodore Nott that had also told Millie Bulstrode that she had the thighs of a Quidditch Beater and got absolutely floored by her. Grade A fucking idiot.