Christmas Decorations

Walking to school the boy could still feel the harsh burn of the cigarette but on his shoulder. Fortunately for him, it was winter so nobody would be able to see the fresh wound that fizzled underneath his sweater. On his way he encountered a girl who looked to be around his age. The girl had spotted him and ran up to him.
      "Hi! You walk to school this way too?'"
      The boy gave a small nod.
      "Awesome! I'm Winnie! How bout' you?"
      The boy ignored her and started walking quicker.
      "I'm in sixth grade and new in town so I don't have any friends here! Let's be friends!"
     Stopping in his tracks the boy hesitantly turned toward her. He looked up and stared her straight in the eyes. Now that he had a good look at the girl she was quite pretty. Winnie exuberated cheer, not a trace of nervousness on her face despite her circumstances. Irritated, the boy looked away grimly and held up his gaunt hands to show six fingers.
     "Wow! You're in my grade? You look a lot younger than me though."
     Winnie gave a quick glance to the scrawny kid. Hair grown out and unkempt, sunken cheeks, and restless eyes that turned toward her once more.
     "Hm?"
     The boy pointed in the direction of a cramped alleyway in between a rundown convenience store and middle class family house filled to the brim with Christmas decorations.
     "A shortcut?"
      The boy nodded. The twelve year olds began to walk down the alley. Winnie took it upon herself to lead the duo as she was concerned for the frail boy. She noted the smell of what looked like scraps of litter, urine, and sewage.
     "Y'know me and my Ma are gonna go shopping for new decorations after school. You should come with!"
     Winnie heard some shuffling from behind her.
     "Think abou-"
     Her words were cut short as the boy strangled her with thin rusted wire. Winnies mouth screamed for help, but no words nor sounds could escape her. The iron began to cut through her neck and crimson seeped out. Unsatisfied, the boy began to slowly saw through her neck with the wire. Winnie had long been lost when her head had finally been separated from the rest of her. The alleyway now haunted by her soundless cries. The boy placed his school bag on the cement and picked up Winnie's head with both arms.
     'Heavier than I thought'
     He managed to finally cram her inside his school bag, zipped it shut, and walked back home. The boy then slipped through the unlocked front door, schoolbag in hand, and quietly closed the door. The small house lay as cold and unfeeling as it's residents.
     In the front yard garbage bin lay a woman's severed hand whose slender emaciated fingers, even now, cling to a burnt out cigarette.