A Flurry at the Pole

Disclaimer: I don't own characters or images.

  This is my first ROTG fanfic, so please tell me what you think!!!
.....

Jack sighed briefly as he stared out of his favorite window in North's workshop. He had come for the bi-monthly Guardian meeting the Cossack had organized ever since he became the Guardian of Fun a year ago. Unfortunately for him, these meetings were the exact opposite of fun, and Jack found himself facing his greatest nemesis. Boredom.

The meeting itself had started off well, each of the legends giving status reports. But then Bunny made an off-hand comment about Christmas, and the two holiday rivals were back at it again. Sandy had conked out ages ago after his fifth cup of eggnog, and Tooth was too busy delegating her fairies to referee the argument like she normally would or to relieve Jack from his unhappy state.

   At first, the fights had been a great source of entertainment. Sometimes Jack would even stand behind Bunny when he was in a rant and mimic him. Sandy always found his miming funny. But soon, even the holiday spats became grating on his ears, and their points on why their holiday was better than the other's stopped being original. Jack had once heard a man say that an idiot is someone who tries the same thing over and over expecting different results. He had a feeling neither Bunny nor North would take that very well if he ever told them.

   His friends were distracted. He was out of window space to trace ice designs. And the elves were finally beginning to realize that they shouldn't be near him if they didn't want to become elf-cicles. There was almost nothing for him to do, except....

   He couldn't believe he had been reduced to actually doing work to cure his boredom, but alas that was all that was left. Jack stuck a chilled hand into the pocket of his hoodie, which he had enchanted with winter magic to have increased storage within the pocket. (How else was he supposed to fit the snow globe North gave to him in there without it slipping out?) After a few seconds of rummaging, he pulled out a dark blue book with an intricate snowflake design on the cover, it's title written in traditional curvy faeish with runes inscribed along the spine. Jack rested the book in his lap and pulled out a pen he "borrowed" from Jamie out of his pocket. Flipping to roughly the middle of the book, Jack set to work.

   What his new teammates didn't realize was that Jack wasn't all "snowballs and fun times" like he told them. He had a very important job as Mother Nature's Winter Seasonal, and he was given another name to go with the title. King Jokul Frosti. As one of the four Seasonals, it was his job to spread and guide winter across the globe and make sure the earth didn't plunge into another Ice Age like it had when Old Man Winter, the first Snow King, died and no one could handle the transition. So after centuries of neglect and lack of proper care, Jokul had a lot of work to do to create and maintain winter's balance. Especially since he had less than a third of the help the other seasons had because most of the lesser winter spirits either died or went into a deep sleep after the death of their last sovereign.

   The book in his lap was, in his description, a glorified planner that was given to him by Queen Rapunzel, the Spring Seasonal. Since they weren't human children, or at least not anymore, they never got the chance to celebrate Christmas properly. Even without his memories at the time, Jack had a vague idea about the holiday and decided to start a tradition of his own with the other members of Mother Nature's Court by exchanging their own gifts. And by far, the planner remained his favorite.

   Of course, to anyone who knew Jack Frost, he was the definition of spontaneity, never staying in one place long, easily distracted, always ready to play. He lived up to his reputation as an immortal child. But as Jokul, the King of Winter, he had to focus, and plan, and keep control of an extremely volatile season. He couldn't afford to be scatterbrained when it came to his duty.