Chapter 1

I look at the time and it is almost seven. I have the tv turned on and an ad for the Ghostbusters comes on. I feel hands grip my shoulders and I tense up and I see my boyfriend Josh. we have been together for about three years now but it hasn't been a good thing. when we were just dating it was nice but once we moved in together it all changed. he started yelling at me more and actually hit me a few times but I have no money to actually leave he makes sure of that by taking money to buy stupid things and ran himself into debt and guilt trips me into helping him pay it off. "Damn what a hunk of shit" he shakes his head "hey maybe I should call them on you the next time you get out of hand" he jokes but I knew he meant it. 

I have abilities that you'd only see in movies my mom always told me I was special, that was until she married a pastor who convinced her I was possessed by the devil. I was kicked out when I was fifteen and I haven't had a place that felt like home in a long time. hell, even now I don't feel safe with where I live. "Hey what time is our reservation again" 

"In thirty minutes come on we should go." he helps me off the couch and leads me to the parking lot of the apartment complex we live in. he said he has something special planned for us and I am hoping he doesn't propose because I don't deal with pressure well and I'm afraid I'd say yes and get stuck in something I don't want. the restaurant we are going to is the river cafe'. the ride is nice and quiet except for the music Josh decided to play and it was all songs on a tape he made called getting it on which I am hearing for the first time. we have had sex but it isn't that often infect it has been nearly ten months since we last did anything and the fact that he is playing this is making me nervous. we pull up and we get seated and I look at the menu. And I notice it is a three-course meal. I get the shrimp appetizer and we decide to share it I also get some water not wanting to get drunk on wine. "So, this is nice huh," he asks and I nod

"Thank you for taking me here it's very nice" 

"Why don't you get some wine," he asks and I shrug.

"You know I'm not a big drinker" I smile looking at the menu and I see venison and lamb and I felt bad, I'm okay with eating meat just not baby animal meat. the waiter comes back and I order steak and Josh orders the lamb. "it's sad" I shrug 

"What is" 

"The lamb it was just a baby didn't even get to grow up" I comment and he groans

"Come on don't be like that you ordered meat to" 

"Yea but it is a baby it's a little different" I look at him and he rolls his eyes he gets a text on his phone and checks it I look at him but I look away not wanting to see who he is texting. I am telepathic. I can see what someone else sees if I focus on them, I can also see what they feel but I can't read their mind or anything cool like that and right now I didn't want to know who he was texting. our meals come and he puts the phone away. he holds my hand and the color is a light red and this I find means he is irritated. "You know I love you right" he smiles and I nod. the color changes light orange he was getting nervous. he lets go and the color leaves. we finish our food and we are having a nice conversation about a football team he is into. I'm not really into sports I like learning new things though and right now he is talking about how the game is played and what players do what and giving fun facts about it. he looks me in the eyes and I start to get nervous. "You know we have been together for a good while now and I want to take it to a higher level." he starts and I felt my gut sink. 

"Josh" I muttered trying to stop him from doing what he is about to do. he comes over and bends down on one knee and pulls out a ring. there are some stares and I look at him. 

"You have to say yes" he smiles and I shake my head. 

"I'm sorry" I tear up feeling horrible for hurting him but knowing I wasn't ready to be married at least not with him. If I could leave I would but with me having no place to go I was stuck. he smiles anyway and holds my hand and what I see has me petrified. deep red his eyes are deep red and he is very angry. he nods.