Chapter 1 - Afterlife

(Artwork by Inkcloud)

BEFORE PROCEEDING, READ THE DESCRIPTION!

This is the FINAL book in the TRILOGY. The first two books are "Together" & "Forever" (See what I did there?) and I HIGHLY recommend you read those books first before reading this one, otherwise, a lot of this isn't going to make a lot of sense.

However, it isn't required, so if you don't want to, you don't have to. But without further ado, let's begin.

(Continuing where we left off...)

Her eyes remained stationary on the concrete wall in front of her as she listened to the hum of the light above her. She lay on her side, her arms wrapped around herself as she tried to find some peace in isolation. These past couple of months were nothing short of a mixture of both torture and peacefulness for her. Ever since she was extracted from the Maw and brought to where she is now, she was treated like a queen, being fed whenever she became hungry and being treated with great respect.

However, ever since her rescue, she felt as if she had lost a part of her. An essential part that kept her motivated to accomplish things.

Mono was gone.

Part of Six still denied his death, perhaps he ran out of the way before he could be crushed? These types of questions were the only glimmers of hope she had, but they would eventually be diminished as her heart began to throb, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I... LOVE YOU, SIX!"

Scenarios played out in Six's head where Mono made it to the elevator first and she saves him instead, or the two escape just in time with the guests seconds away from catching them. Just like every other time.

"It should've been me..."

Six squeezed her eyes shut, her grip on her yellow raincoat tightening.

"Six..?"

A feminine voice called out her name from behind her, causing her to tense up.

"Oh, there you are."

The girl that had been taking care of her and the one who had rescued her appeared at Six's side.

"Uh... are you sleeping?"

Six replied by sitting up, shaking her head to signify that she was wide awake.

"What do you want?"

"Um... just wanted to let you know that I'm fixing some food for you-"

"That's okay. I'm not hungry."

Six had the same stern expression whenever she spoke to the girl. She never showed any emotion other than sadness when Six poured her heart out to her, and it strongly bothered her. She wanted to see her guest smile, but no matter what she did, Six would glare at her no matter what.

"Well, when are you going to be hungry? You haven't eaten anything all day."

"I can fix food for myself."

Six crossed her arms, sitting against the wall behind her and looking off past the girl crouched down in front of her. The room that she was given was large, with several toys sprawled out across the floor. She also had various crayons and markers that she could use to draw, but she rarely used them, usually throwing away any form of art she produced out of dissatisfaction.

"Hm... maybe I could teach you how to make certain foods?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Or we could play a board game?"