THIS IS INSPIRED BY TED LASSO

This is short. This is dramatic. But I love Ted and his mustache with all my heart so you know I had to write a daydream about him. 

There were supposed to be 4 Tik Tok videos but I cut it down to 2 so enjoy the other small parts, haha! 

Song I was listening to while writing:  cold/mess by Prateek Kuhad 

***

I readjust the bodice of my dress for the fourth time as I stand in the shadowed corner of the bar. "Gin and tonic, please," I say through shaky breaths.

 The endless noise throughout the dining hall, conversations I should participate in, fill the space. But I stand, covered in darkness, afraid. I shake my head and take a sip. Stop being ridiculous. 

I hear him. The singularity of his accent, the deep laugh that still sinks in the hollow of my bones, causes my eyes to fall shut. It is impossible to exist on my own when I know he's near me. My date's hands, soft and impatient, nudge me towards the main dining area. I stiffen at the contact, hating the touch of anyone, even for the briefest of moments. Not when I've memorized the feeling of him. But instead of nudging me again, he wraps those skeletal fingers around my waist and squeezes.

"Well look who it is."

When I turn to look at who he's addressing, the glass in my hand wavers, he's staring at me, his gaze drifting to the dip of my collarbone, staying there for a moment before sliding down to the sinched silk of my dress. He swallows and looks up to me, a flash of pain between the furrow of his brow.

"You look nice."

PART 2

Shoving his hands in his pockets, he exhales once, and I watch as he looks up the ceiling for a second. When he looks at me again, he is bored, completely indifferent.

"My, my the ever cordial Coach has nothing else to say but "nice"? I fear your reputation does not precede you " My date squeezes my waist again, chuckling to himself, and I unconsciously wrap my hand around his to remove it. Of course, he notices, his gaze burning into my waist. He clears his throat before answering roughly.

"I always notice you."

We stare at each other for a long moment. His eyes narrow, daring me to object.

"Only when no one's there to catch you. If you'll excuse me."

PART 3

"So you brought a date" He sits in the chair next to me, nodding at the bartender, who immediately begins making his drink. I sigh, taking another sip.

"Good to know your eyesight is working."

A deep laugh fills the small space between us, and I have to close my eyes at the ache it causes.

His fingers trace the rim of his glass in slow circles, staring into the amber liquid to avoid looking at me.

"I can't watch him touch you" His knee brushes mine under the table—an olive branch of old memories.

"You also said you can't be with me, so it seems like you need to make up your mind."

"Fuck" he whispers, finishing his drink in a single sip. "I'm trying to."

Abruptly he turns towards me, his leg slipping seamlessly between my own, the warmth of him so familiar I have to catch my breath. His hand hovers above my thigh, but instead, it remains suspended inches above us. He flexes it, sighing for the second time tonight, and puts it back down on his lap.

"I know I'm being selfish, I know" he brushes his hand through his hair, causing unruly pieces to fall across his forehead. "But I will always put you first. Always. And I've got people who need me, who depend on me and the minute I see you, its over."

PART 4

His dark eyes scan my face, lingering on my lips before looking down to where our legs meet. "Please tell me what to do."

"You already made your choice."

"Tell me to take it back."

"I can't do that."

"I can't watch him touch you," he repeats, dark anger surfacing behind his usually polite demeanor.

I stand up; his knee still between my legs causes me to stumble closer to him so that we're almost flush against each other. As if he's in a trance, his hands wrap around my hips, fingers splayed across my stomach, and he groans. So, I have to be the strong one here? I tuck the loose hair behind his ear, and slowly, he looks up at me through half-lidded eyes, his head tilted in defeat.

I take a deep breath in to steady myself. "So don't watch."