Part 20

Chapter 19

Astrid let out an audible breath as her carriage cleared the checkpoint at the gates of the Palace. Other carriages were behind her, being inspected by the Palace Knights.

"Nervous Miss?" Atali, who was acting as a chaperone, asked. She was seated across from her mistress and had observed her throughout the journey.

"Not nervous per say...." Astrid muttered. "Maybe just a bit wary." She pursed her lips for a moment. Lady Griselda's intimate get-togethers were known to many, yet only a few received invitations. To even be allowed to hold an event on Palace grounds spoke of her influence within society. Honestly she didn't know what to expect. Last week Heather and Camicazi, who had been invited to previous get-togethers had told her not to stress over it.

"Lady Arkas usually has two goals..." She could hear Camicazi's voice in her head now. "It's either for the purpose of raising capital for a charity or for the purpose of matchmaking."

"I still feel somewhat responsible for you not getting to meet Lady Arkas intimately that day," Heather had told her via letter. "I admire her for trying to set my brother up on dates. Any sane person would have given up by now,"

The sentences her friends had uttered ground Astrid's mind to a screeching halt for a moment when she had read them. Lady Arkas was a reserved and poised woman that took no haranguing from men, especially possible suitors. She had always seemed so put together in public, having the right response to people's actions. Yet it had never occurred to Astrid that the Lady in question might have another side to her. To the commoners she was known as the Ghost of Arkas, holding the highest position of Duchess with no official title. In Noble circles she was known as the Iron Lady, for she was competent, steadfast and fair in her decisions. Something any lady would aspire to. But it seemed to her more intimate friends she was quite fond of matchmaking and philanthropy. It just goes to show that you can never judge a book by their cover.

Truly she wanted to meet this version of Lady Arkas, yet at the same time there was trepidation. Astrid might look and act like she knew it all and was so put together.... But the unknown scared her.

As the carriage jolted to a stop Astrid was shaken out of her musings. She stepped down onto the cobblestones with the help of Atali. A servant approached her and indicated for her to follow the cobblestone path to the lake where the rest of the guests had gathered.

Astrid lifted up the skirt of her olive green dress a bit so that she could walk more comfortably without the hem getting caught under her shoe when a voice called out to her.

"Astrid!" Was nearly shouted, causing her to turn and see Lady Heather sprinting towards her. Her friend had been in the third carriage behind hers and upon spotting Astrid she immediately made a beeline for her friend. The Deranged maid surprisingly kept up with her Lady's antics.

"The Earl isn't attending this time?" Astrid asked as she and Heather linked arms.

"My brother is coming. As much as he hates being set up he loves the sweets Lady Griselda serves at her soirees." Heather commented. "You and I both know he can never pass up a plate of scones."

The ladies talked while following the cobblestone path. When they finally did arrive they were met with a beautiful lake with several swans and lotus pads in it and a large tent set up nearby. The tent housed a long table and several guests were already seated while others were milling about. At the head of the table Lady Griselda Arkas sat. The customary place of the host yet it was a fickle place. If a person of greater rank than the host were to be present at the party then that seat of honor would belong to them.