Part 47

Chapter 46

It was finally Founding Day and Astrid was nervous as she entered the carriage sent by the palace. It was still morning but apparently to ensure her 'timely' arrival the Prince had sent a carriage forthwith. Astrid stopped, not fully entering the carriage yet, and looked back at Rose and Edwin, both standing in the doorway, they nodded at her and promised that they would soon follow with the Hofferson carriage. Astrid was loath to depart the estate at this instance, especially during this crucial stage of the plan but in order for the Prince to not sense the coming coup d'é·tat she had to make no suspicious movements.

She entered the carriage expertly with minimal ruffling of her beige dress. She then quickly smoothed her flounced tiered skirt as the carriage door was closed by the footman. As the carriage drove away from the estate and the shadow of the palace loomed nearer her nerves were getting to her. She started picking at her berta, the lace texture under her fingers helping her to keep calm. No one said it but it was suspect. She had been invited early to the palace before official celebrations started to go over some... logistics. Which was odd in itself as the aristocrats in power would never hold a work meeting with a lady, noble or not. For most deemed the female mind too simplistic to understand their problems.

Astrid remembered; when her mother had first set out to build up the family fortune many men refused to work under her. She was but five but she had heard the leaving job candidates calling her mother but a 'feeble' woman. Those men laughed and ridiculed her but she had shown them and Astrid was proud of that. It was something she tried to live up to.

Only those desperate enough for a job had stayed once they found out their employer was a woman. Commoners who could read and write were at the time few but were ready to prove their worth. Third and fourth Noble sons who would inherit nothing had also tried their luck. That was how Astrid had met Noel. She was almost six when she met the man that would still be the family's accountant when she took over the reins.

He wasn't a very social fellow and would often hold himself up in the townhouse on the estate grounds her mother had granted him. He was apparently the youngest of four. After his eldest brother had become Head of his family he was kicked out with but the clothes on his back. But Noel was very good with numbers, so good that even Samuel was loath to discard him. Astrid had been glad that Minden could get training from him when she was hired.

Though introverted as he was, he had always greeted young Astrid with a smile and she later suspected a crush on her mother may have developed. After her mother's funeral, she had barely seen their accountant smile. She often wondered what the real story was behind their friendship but she knew; her mother was a loyal woman even if Samuel was a piece of scum. She would never have reciprocated Noel's feelings and now, looking back, Astrid sort of wished she did.

"Madam we've arrived," The footman announced, startling Astrid out of her musings. She had no idea why her mind had drifted to her childhood but upon stepping out of the carriage the shadow of the palace loomed over her. Steeling herself she entered.

The palace was extravagantly decorated. Auspicious flowers lined the hallways and gold embroidered curtains hung along the large bay windows that would, at tonight's ball frame the full moon shining into the palace. Astrid was ushered up to the Crown Prince's study and left at the closed door by the attendant, who had knocked once.

"Enter!" Came the command from the other side and once Astrid had opened the door she noticed that the Prince wasn't alone. Prince Grimmel was lounging on the settee, a pipe in his hand, and on the seats across from him, an elderly woman sat rather stifly. Astrid belatedly realized that the woman was the Prince's grandmother.

"I greet the Kingdo-" She started saying while curtsying but Grimmel interrupted her and just waved her over to take a seat.

"No need to be so formal, isn't that right Grandmother," Grimmel smirked.

Astrid didn't know what she stepped into other than a lion's den. The Dowager's Queen's gaze seemed not too friendly though Astrid was relieved that that sharp gaze was not directed at her. She hesitantly took a seat, looking between the two with some trepidation.

"Now that we are all here we can discuss the way forward. Lady Hofferson you will be my new fiance starting today at the Founding's feast and grandmother you will be her most blatant supporter. In fact, nothing would make you happier than Lady Hofferson becoming this Kingdom's Queen." The Prince smirked upon saying all that, enjoying the looks of sheer incredulity on the women's faces. Lady Theodora even dropped her mask of indifference and was staring at her grandson in shock, horror, and disbelief.

"YOUR HIGHNESS!" Both women exclaimed in unison.

"Have you lost what marbles you had?! I will not marry you!" Astrid proclaimed while Theodora uttered "Utterly daft you have become! Has the opium rotted your brain?!"

"I'm already being courted!" Astrid added to which Theodora looked aghast at her grandson.

"You're coveting a taken woman?! I KNOW I RAISED YOU BETTER THAN THIS!"

"Enough!" Grimmel shouted causing the ladies to look his way with glares. "This is not up for discussion. The matter has already been decided. As King, I will order Lady Hofferson to be my wife. And as a loyal subject, the lady will obey."

"You are no King," Theodora announced.

"After tonight I will be," Grimmel now smirked and Astrid's blood ran cold.

"Father has so graciously decided to step down and give me the crown. Fitting, on the day of this Kingdom's founding what better way to celebrate than with a coronation."

"There is no way my son would willingly step down!" Theodora announced. "I demand to see Quintas at once!"

"You just want my family's wealth," Astrid proclaimed. "Prince or not, King or not. You will have to drag me by my ankles down the aisle!"

"Perhaps this will give you some incentive. GUARDS!" Grimmel shouted and from a side door to the study two guards walked in with a struggling middle-aged woman in between them.

"Evelin!" Theodora's eyes widened.

"Lady Hofferson, meet your grandmother. It's been quite troublesome keeping her locked in her villa." Grimmel added. "I thought the two of you should at least get acquainted as her head will roll the moment you refuse my proposal again."

"Unhand Lady Evelin at once!" Theodora ordered the guards. "She is of the same rank as me. How dare you manhandle her!"

"Grandmother, you fail to see your position right now." Grimmel laughed. "I hold all the cards. And if you do not wish for Lady Evelin's untimely demise I would suggest you listen well. There will obviously be some opposition to my claiming Lady Hofferson as my wife, those old Nobles wishing their own daughters take the Queen's seat is frankly disgusting." Here Grimmel made a face. "But, just like you have supported Griselda from the shadows you will support Lady Hofferson as well. The Dowager's opinion is still strong amongst the Nobles after all."

"Now," Grimmel said as he clapped his hands. Three more guards appeared from the doorway where Evelin was being held with a sword to her neck. "We have some joyous celebrations to get to tonight. I will leave you ladies in one of the rooms to get better acquainted. Todeloo!" The Prince said as the ladies were forcibly ushered out of the study. That bastard even waved them off.