8:Somethings Missing

Three weeks passed, and Maka didn't have a weapon anymore. No new weapons showed up at the academy, and every other weapon was taken. She came home from school every day, roaming in her apartment that felt wrong to be in, now that Soul was gone. Lord Death made Kid and Black Star go on different missions, so the only person she had to talk to was Crona.

Kid was going on missions around Europe at his father's request, so he never really got to see Maka, and when he did see her, someone else was always around. The two of them decided to keep their relationship a secret from their group of friends, because Soul practically blamed his suicide on him, all because he saw him and Maka kissing on the balcony. It was Maka's idea to keep everything a secret, so that nobody would blame Kid for Soul. It was becoming hard to keep it a secret, but he managed.

Kid felt bad for Maka, since she couldn't go on missions without a weapon. She could only make herself a weapon when she wasn't really conscious, but she wasn't able to fight like that unless it was necessary.

Maka went to school in the morning, and it still had a glum feel to it. Everyone had heard about Soul, and several people blamed Maka because they had heard about what Soul wrote in his note. Maka sat in her chair and put her chin on her arms which she folded in the table. Every day she walked in here on the verge of tears now, all because it made her think of Soul

Both Maka and Kid couldn't stop thinking about each other or Soul. Without Soul, it felt like there was a missing link in the group. Black Star and Tsubaki started to be around them a little less after Soul died, mainly because Black Star was blaming Maka for Soul's death. Personally, they both blamed themselves, too, for Soul committing suicide. Everything in the little group they had formed had been tearing apart at the seams.

"Maka, Lord Death said he wants to see you." Stein said. She got up and almost dragged her feet, knowing she was either going to get a new weapon, or have some other kind of news that somehow involved her, although she wouldn't know what that could be. She walked into the death room to see Kid, Liz, Patti, Black Star and Tsubaki already there, and she assumed they had just gotten back from their missions.

Maka just wanted to jump up to Kid and hug him after seeing him one time in 3 weeks, but she held in her excitement. She caught herself staring at Kid as she got closer to the center of the room, and looked away to hide her embarrassment. When she reached the center of the room, she saw Spirit in the room as well, and a tall, perfectly tanned brunette with perfectly toned muscles. His eyes were a dark purple. Nobody knew how his eyes were purple, but they were beautiful.

"Maka, I know things have been hard on you the past 3 weeks with what happened to Soul, and I know you can't really replace him, but you need a new weapon....." Lord Death said. "This boy here will be your new weapon."

"My name is Carter." He greeted politely, and held out to shake hers.

"In case you couldn't tell, my name is Maka." Maka greeted, wearing a fake smile. As much as she missed having a weapon and being able to go on missions, she could never replace Soul.

Kid stared at the two in disbelief. He'd been back from his mission for an all of 30 seconds before Maka started to get to the death room, and now she was getting a new weapon who was way more attractive than he was. A hint of jealousy showed in Kid's face, and almost everyone around them caught on to his feelings.

"Kid, do you like Maka?" Patty asked curiously at lunch later that day.

"W-what makes you think that?" Kid asked, worried that if Patty caught on, that pretty much anyone could.

"I guess I wasn't the only one who caught onto how jealous Kid looked when Maka and Carter were introduced to each other." Tsubaki stated.

"I-i-i-I wasn't jealous!" Kid said, panicking. Maka sat next to him giggling.

"You know, you stutter pretty badly when you lie." Black Star pointed out. Maka sighed and pulled out her phone.

"Do you think we can tell them about us?" Maka texted Kid. He pulled out his phone and tried to hide the message from everyone else, then replied.

"Yeah, they're closer to us than anyone in this school. They would understand."

"Are you two seriously texting each other? Your literally a foot away from each other!" Liz said. Both of them ignored her.

"Do you want to tell them or should I?" Maka texted.

"I don't think it matters who tells them" Kid texted back.

"Okay seriously why are you two texting each other if your right next to each other?" Black Star questioned.

"Because we're having a private conversation." Kid said blandly.

"What's so private that you can't even tell us?" Tsubaki asked.

"Well....... Uhhhhhh......" Kid tried to figure out how to tell them about him and Maka.

"If we tell you, do you promise not to be mad at either of us for keeping secrets from you?" Maka asked the group. Sure, she wouldn't be able to tell Crona or Carter yet, but she would get to that later.
"Okay" everyone said.

"You guys can't tell anyone about this, not until this whole thing about Soul blows over." Maka said sternly.

"What, are you two secretly dating or something?" Black Star said as a joke, and started laughing at his own joke.

"Yes...." Maka and Kid said together, both lowering their heads and blushing. Black Star stopped laughing as soon as he heard them both say that.

"So when Soul said that you were in love with someone else in his note-" Black Star started.

"He was talking about me. When Maka went to check on me on the balcony, I kissed her and he saw it." Kid said regretfully. "Sometimes I think about what would have happened if I hadn't kissed Maka....."

"Kid, are you saying that you blame yourself for this, too?" Liz asked. Kids eyes watered up, and all he could manage was a nod. He felt like he was going to throw up just thinking about Soul's note. He covered his face with his hands as tears ran down his cheeks, and he also realized he was really going to throw up. He got up and ran straight to the bathroom.

Everyone looked up in confusion. Not long after Kid ran in there, Carter followed.