The Tests

America POV
Event: Operation Crossroads-Test Able
Location: NE Lagoon, Bikini Atoll, The Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, United States of America
Date: July 1, 1946

I was incredibly nervous. Today was the day of Test Able, the first of the three nuclear tests I was going to be doing on Bikini Atoll. I needed to understand the weapon that I had created. I knew the A-bomb was a powerful weapon, but to what extent was it effective?

How could I use it properly? What was the effect it had on military equipment? Would these bombs make a navy obsolete?

I needed to get answers to these questions. With my concerns about Soviet and what he is up to, I need to have more power than him. I'm not going to have a nuclear monopoly for long, so I need to take advantage of the time I have now to understand the A-bomb better then any other nation.

Marshall Islands had been nervous about the tests, as he knew from New Mexico that it could be painful. Even then, he wanted to be here to watch the tests. New Mexico decided to accompany him, as she understood the pain of the bomb.

They would be watching the tests in a different room, as several countries had come to watch the tests, and I didn't want them finding out about New Mexico, even if they were aware of Marshall Islands' existence.

The countries in question were Dad, Canada, Australia, Brazil, China, France, Egypt, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, and much to my horror, Soviet. He was definitely taking advantage of these tests being public to find more about the bomb so he could create his own. That might be a reason why many of those nations were here.

In any case, the tests were public, so it's not like I could do much about their presence here. In fact, I think DC was telling me it was the most observed and talked of scientific test in all of human history.

No pressure or anything.

The first test, the one that I would be watching today, was called Test Able. It would be a test that was similar to the way I had bombed Hiroshima. A plane would be dropping the weapon onto the ships, where it would detonate.

Then, after Test Able, we would have two more tests. One would be a nuclear bomb that was detonated at a shallow underwater depth. The second one would be a deeply submerged explosion.

Marshall Islands was very concerned about all the tests, especially the underwater ones. He was afraid that the people we moved off the atoll would not be able to return to due to radiation. Several nuclear scientists had also said the same thing, that there could be severe radioactive contamination. Other critics said that the tests were too provocative.

Despite the concerns, we were moving on anyway. I needed to understand the power I had at my disposal, I needed to understand how to use it. What's the point in having a powerful weapon if you don't understand it?

These tests were dangerous and risky, but they were necessary.

"America!" I heard Soviet's unwelcome voice call.

"Hello Soviet." I responded, as he walked towards me.

"I'm very interested in seeing what your new weapon can do up close." He said.

"Because you want to make your own?" I questioned. Soviet laughed.

"Who doesn't? Those bombs are full of a lot of power. Any self respecting country will be after that power." He responded. I smiled, stepping away from him to walk over to Dad, Canada, and Australia.

"But only one of us won the race, and I made it first." I said, taking note of the irritation that flashed across his face.

"Yes. You did win this race. But don't let that victory go to your head." He said. I almost laughed. A young country like Soviet was trying to give me advice? That was very amusing.