Chapter One - Keefe

The rain poured. Keefe was running. Running far away from who knows what.

Splash!

He was soaked to the bone, but he didn't care. He needed to get away from the house.

Run.

Run.

Run.

There was nowhere to go. He had reached this point so many times. He was backed up against a tree, a tall figure closing in on him. Lightning flashed and lit up the figure's face for a second. Except it wasn't a face. It was a mask. It began creeping closer, raising its hand—

Keefe sat up abruptly, gasping. He was drenched not with rain, but with sweat. It was how he had woken up for the past month. He was getting sick and tired of this same dream. He tiptoed out of bed and into the hallway, looking to get some fresh air. He wandered into the entryway. Keefe was about to open the door when he thought he saw someone outside.

His heart pounded in his ears as he slowly opened the door and peered onto the beach.

"Hello?" He whisper-yelled.

Nobody.

He sighed. It was just him being paranoid. Keefe crept back up to his bed, crawling under the comfort of the warm covers. He laid his head down on the pillow, only to feel something on it. He sat up and used what he had learned at Exilium to adjust his eyes to the dark. He picked up the paper. It was a letter. And it definitely wasn't there before. He unfolded it and skimmed through.

In short, the same house that had been haunting his dreams was now gifted upon him. There was a leaping crystal enclosed and everything. A blue leaping crystal, one that looked worn and cracked.

As he looked in the envelope again, he pulled out a small cloth pocket with something inside. Temporary leaping crystals, ten of them. Each attached to a small paper with a name.

Sophie Foster.

Fitz Vacker.

Biana Vacker.

Marella Redek.

Linh Song.

Tam Song.

Wylie Endal.

Maruca Chebota.

Dex Dizznee.

Stina Heks.

A chill ran down his spine as Keefe realized what he had to do.

He couldn't rest until he invited them to the house of his nightmares.