chapter 27 - pancakes

Talia:

Talia:

There is nowhere to sit.

Well, that's not entirely true, I just don't know how a freshman would feel if I walked up and sat next to them. Surely they would be weirded out, which is why there is nowhere to sit at lunch. This is unfortunate.

I scan the lunchroom and my normal table is vacant. Quinn and Jess are sick—which is just code word for skipping—and Cassie...she's not speaking to me and I'm not speaking to her. For good reasons. Cas sits with what I guess is her new groupie, Allison and Penny. Doesn't she know I hate Allison? Okay, not totally hate, but I definitely have some beef ever since she raised her hand in class to remind the teacher that there was homework, knowing full well I didn't have it with me. It was sabotage. And now she is conversing with the enemy. It's not like it matters, considering I don't want to be around Cas anymore.

My black lunch bag hangs in my hands as I try to find any possible person who I can tolerate for the next thirty minutes. I probably look like a lost child, standing and searching.

Just when I'm about to settle for a freshman table, I spot a familiar head of dark-brown hair and a grumpy face. My heart picks up, and before I can think twice, I'm walking towards him.

"Can I sit here?" I ask once I'm at the head of the table.

Rowan, Jake, and Grayson all look up at me upon hearing my voice. The latter turns his head towards Jake. "Move."

"Me?" Jake questions, drawing out the word dramatically. He sits right next to Grayson, leaving an open seat beside Rowan. "There's a spot next to Rowan, have Lia sit there."

If looks could kill, Jake would die in an instant from Grayson's wrath. I swear that goosebumps form on my arms.

"Dumbass, he wants to sit next to her," Rowan says. "Use your brain."

Jake rolls his eyes. "Maybe I want to sit next to Graysie-boy."

"I'll sit wherever—," I try to state.

"No," Grayson firmly says. "Move, Jake. I sit with you all the fucking time during class."

"It's not the same," Jake says in the most sad voice ever. I'm going to need him to teach me his ways. Imagine all of the free stuff I can get with that. Anyways, for I second I think Jake is going to say something super heartfelt about wanting to be next to Grayson, but I should have know better. "How will I be able to steal your fries from across the table?"

We all look at his tray of fries. "You've been stealing my fries?" he begins to say. When our attention directs back to Jake, we all notice three fries being stuffed into his mouth. "Hey!"

We all laugh except for the victim of the french fry crime. Poor Grayson.

"You have a great laugh, Talia," Jake says unexpectedly. What is up with him? How do they deal with his randomness all day? "Don't you agree, Grayson?"