Chapter 6: Last Stand

Days later...

Ash: "Got some visuals."

Glaz: "They are only civilians. I think it would be a great idea to send Rook down there with a buddy."

Ela: "I will head on down with him then. We will bag this in no time."

Ash: "Don't do anything stupid. You are just to retrieve a file from a friendly who's going to help cover us in future businesses. If you get into a sort of trouble, put your pistols to a minimum. See why I said to ditch your rifles earlier?"

Glaz: "Well... other than me to make sure the raid goes well. I will sit here with Ash. Maestro currently is scouting and reported that the mall is clear. The employee areas are best for any possible conflict. You know what to do Julien."

Rook put his pistol in a discreet pocket of his casual, winter coat. He rubbed his hands together and then glanced at Ela. Both gave each other a prepared nod, and climbed down the roof and headed for the entrance.

Ela: "Maybe I will get something on the way out."

Rook: "Like always right?" He laughed under his breath

Ela: "Correct. Now, the ping from Maestro's report says that the guy is hanging around the bathrooms closest to us. It's... in the men's restroom so you got to go for it."

Rook gave a thumbs up. As they entered, they guided themselves around the mall, they noticed some weird stares.

Rook: "Are we just... sticking out walking together like this?"

Ela: "Funny, but probably they are watching us. Take a right now. I will wait out here and play on my phone until you come back out."

Rook would then marched his way to the men's restroom, and would see a man leaning against the wall on his phone. He would look around the bathroom to see if the coast is clear, before walking up to him.

Rook: He took a deep breath, trying to remember the coded phrase "Waiting for your son?"

He waited for the expected response.

?: "Yeah, like the usual." His chuckle would sound fake

The man then handed Rook a phone, and would have a distressed look, before storming out. Shrugging it off, he would then leave after taking a tinkle. Walking out and looking for Ela, he would see her in a store across the bathroom.

Rook: He rolled his eyes and sighed "She really is trying too hard." He made his way to the store where Ela was occupying

Ela: "I saw you at the corner of my eye."

Rook: He'd whisper "That was pretty simple. Now, let's go before anything can escalate."

Ela: She'd whisper back "Too late, that's why I have been standing around in the store."

Rook quickly turned his head to the store entrance, seeing some people pacing back and forth and appear to be occupied. 

Ela: "Follow my lead. I asked Ash moments ago to cover us."

Ela then grabbed Rook's arm and held it, motioning him to walk out. She put her beanie down to cover her face while she nudged Rook to readjust his cap. Ela then handed a small bag to Rook, as she said earlier, buying something before they leave. 

When they reached the parking lot, the two made a bolt for it to the roof.

Rook: He'd fumble his phone out, calling Ash, who responded "Ash, I have the phone."

Ash: On the phone "Great work. Now, just hang out at the floor below the roof. Glaz is already warming up the car."

Rook then relayed the message to Ela and both smiled in success. Moments later, Glaz pulled up in his sedan, and motioned them to get inside. Ash magically would also appear, jumping into the front seat.

Ash: "Now, Harry also stated this phone is to be protected at all costs. We will rest for now. Nice work laying low."

Ela: "I think they were testing us."

Rook: "Even if they let us go, we can make sure no one follows us."

Glaz: "I'm afraid its more than that." Glaz pointed what was in front of the car

A small group of men and woman, with frowns, motioned them to come out.

Ash: "Let's all get out. I trust you all on what to do in this situation."

All exited the car silently and with their hands up.

?: "Hand over the phone, Team Rainbow."

Glaz: "What phone?"

The man who seemed to be the team's leader scoffed, and would point at Glaz

?: "Make sure he doesn't talk back like that again."

One of the others walked up to Glaz for a quick swing, but Glaz managed to react, grabbing and pulling him in before sweeping his legs off and pushing him on the ground. The others awed in surprise, and would close in the gap.

Maestro: He would prime his pistol "Games over fellas."

Maestro would hold and aim his pistol at the hostiles, and smiled.

Maestro: "Hands on your head, now." 

The hostiles one by one got on their knees and put their hands on their head. Some shook, and with closer inspection, there was something not fitting in.

Ash: "Maestro, I might need some of your wisdom. Glaz, watch them with Rook as well as Ela."

Rook would keep an eye out, and would wait. He'd glance at Ash, who seemed to be distressed when she was quietly speaking to Maestro, who seemed to wiped his smile off that was there moments ago.

Ash: "Okay, we have a detour now. Let's go and leave them here and do whatever they wish. Let's all get back into the car."

All five crammed themselves into the car, and quickly drove off and sped to the highway.

Maestro: "To answer the questions running through your heads... I think we hit the jackpot, but it will require more than just a few of us..."

Ash: "What he said. Sadly, we will have to discuss this once we get our rooms. I think its too complicated to think about it right now." She'd sigh "If you haven't got it yet."

The car got awkwardly silent.

Ela: "Maestro ending the moment was kind of anti-climatic." 

Rook: "I think it was more like... life saving."

Glaz: "Remember, we aren't trying to cause a scene." He'd sigh in disappointment

Ash: "Alright, let's like... grab something to eat before we head to our so called hideout. Anyone craving anything?

Maestro: "Just grab whatever you see first. As long it's edible, it will do. Like that place." He'd point at WackDonalds

To be continued...