Chapter One

Pictured: Ria's school

"Whoah.."
I muttered to myself as I almost lost my footing on a slippery log. I was attempting to cross the creek that stood between my family's property and the road. There was a bridge about a mile down, but I was too lazy to walk that far.
  I watched the rushing waters out of the corner of my eye as I carefully walked to the end of the log and jumped off. I took off running, I had to make it to school on time. Usually my older brother Chris drove me to school, but he was staying home to take care of Grandma, who was sick. She used to help take care of the farm, we only had a few horses, but they still ate a ton of food. Now I have to take care of them. We live in Myrtle Creek, Oregon, where almost everyone lives on a big property full of rolling hills, trees, and emerald green grass.
  My school wasn't too far, so I continued running. A bead of sweat trickled down my back and I shivered. Looking up from the road, I saw I had made it downtown to my school. I pulled open the front door, walking inside. Finally warm. I heard the bell ring, so I jogged to the locker room, gym was my first period. Ew.
  As soon as I opened the door to the locker room, I was blasted with other people's thoughts.

"What the freak?!"

"Ew, gross..."

"When did she get here?"

"Freak...."

Who was everyone talking.... Thinking about? What was going on? I only had a few friends in this class, but maybe they could clear it up for me.
  As soon as I stepped into the room, my questions were answered. There was a new girl, maybe a transfer from a different school. I had never seen her before. She was extremely short, maybe five foot, and heroin skinny.
  She continued changing into her gym clothes, unaware that everyone was looking at her. A girl named Brinley walked up to her.

"What the hell are you doing here, freak?" She asked her threateningly. The new girl didn't respond.

"I said, what are you doing here!" Brinley yelled, shoving her into the lockers.

"Hey! Get the hell away from her!" I shouted at Brinley.
  She stopped, then turned around very slowly, and glared at me. If looks could kill, I would have been vaporized into dust.
She screamed at the top of her lungs, and hurtled toward me at full speed. Everyone in her way jumped to the side.
"AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!" She screamed as she ran toward me. I stood my ground, and she was within an arm's reach of me as I attempted to block her. She brought back her fist, and sent it crashing right into my stomach. I clutched my stomach as I slowly crumpled to the ground.

  "Filling out there, Ria?" She asked smugly.
I grabbed her leg and pulled it out from under her, and she came tumbling onto the cement floor right beside me.

  "WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!?!" Mrs. Duvall (the gym coach) screamed. She didn't wait for an answer, and dragged us to the front office. "damn kids," I heard her think.

  Brinley and I sat down in the chairs and waited in silence as Mrs. Duvall walked into the principal's office to tell him what happened. We waited until she came out, and then she motioned to us to go in. Off to more punishment.