11

Rachel's POV

I don't know what I was expecting Daniel to say, but that wasn't it. I had to admit that I was falling in love with him too.

When we got to the restaurant, we found Jonah and Corbyn at the table talking about football as usual. "So you didn't call?" Jack's voice said, alerting us.

"Oh... I'm really sorry," I stuttered and he shrugged.

"Did you guys have a date?" He asked and I nodded.

Jack gave a tiny smile and I high-fived him. Zach walked in and joined us at the table. "I'm hungry."

"That's a surprise," Daniel muttered under his breath.

Tiffany and Kassidy walked in followed by Payton. Jack grinned and went to Payton. "Hey princess," he muttered and she hugged him.

Those two had really hit it off recently and it was surprising. Jack didn't seem like the type that Payton would be interested in.

As we ate, Kassidy began tapping my shoulder. I looked up and frowned. "What?"

"Your ex is right there," she whispered.

"Fuck..." I groaned and Zach glanced at me.

"Something wrong?" He asked. "What did I do now?"

"Not everything is about you Zach," Tiffany muttered.

"Just my ex Brady," I mumbled. "Please don't make this weird."

"Wait... is he the one over there?" Corbyn gasped.

Jonah turned to see where Corbyn was looking as I sunk deeper into my chair. "Hey," Jack said as he waved to my ex.

"Dammit... Jack stop that," I groaned.

"Why did you guys break up?" Daniel asked as I glared at the others.

"He cheated on me," I mumbled.

"Wait... he cheated on you?" Zach asked slightly amused. "That's ironic."

"Why?" I asked.

Zach pointed at the girl he was with. "She is known for cheating. I know a few people who've dated her."

We were quiet for a bit before I noticed a smile on Zach's face. He whispered something to Jack who laughed. "What are you two up to?" Payton asked.

"You want to make things interesting?" Zach asked and I looked curiously at him.

"You're always the troublemaker at home... why not start something in public," I laughed and Zach winked at me.

He was about to go over to the couple when Tyson came running in. Daniel jumped to his feet and approached him. "Get out of here," he growled.

Jonah pulled Kassidy into his arms, trying to calm her down. "I'm not going to let him be near you," he was telling her.

"What do you even want?" Corbyn asked.

"Rachel, we need to talk," Tyson pleaded and I got up.

"Whatever you have to say, you can say to all of us," Daniel hissed, backing Tyson into a wall.

"All of you can know, I don't care. She deserves to be the first to hear this," Tyson muttered.

He was different from what we'd seen back at the abandoned house. He was scared and clearly desperate to talk. I approached Tyson and nodded. "Alright. Let's step outside."

Tyson looked Daniel up and down before following me to the door. I made sure to stand near the window so the others could see me. "What's going on Tyson?" I sighed.

"Your mom..." Tyson began and I put a hand up.

"Don't you dare. You have no right to talk about her. You weren't even there," I snapped.

"Neither were you. We were kids. I did a little research on her death," Tyson replied, glancing around nervously.

This caught my attention. I'd thought she'd died from a heart condition. Not much to research there. Tyson knew he'd caught my interest and smiled. "Go on," I told him.

Tyson glanced around again before looking at me. "What you know is partially true. Your mom did die on the operating table. However, when she started coding, the surgeon didn't do anything about it. Apparently your family had some deal going on. Your family never paid what they owed."

"My mom was murdered?" I asked, tears filling my eyes.

"I'm really sorry. I had to tell you before I left," Tyson sighed.

"Why did you kidnap Kassidy?" I asked as Tyson kept looking nervously around us.

He paused when I said that. "I didn't. I was just making sure she didn't get away."