Chapter 2

The hiss of bubbly water being opened mixed with the Christmas music, as May opened two bubbly's. Worriedly she watched Jenny as her friend set up two plates of dessert. Jenny kept a smile glued to her face trying to find the joy in the moment. This was her favorite dessert after all, from her favorite baker.

"How're you really doing?" May asked quietly as she straightened up the mess of bags and wrappers from their late night snack. "And don't give me any BS about being totally fine."

Jenny was quiet for a moment, letting the smile slip slightly from her face. She turned her focus towards creating perfect triangles of pie next to perfect spheres of ice cream dusted with cinnamon while she spoke. "He really showed his true colors by breaking up with me one week before Christmas. He really wasn't worth my time." Jenny laughed with derision.

"I seriously can't believe he did that. I mean it's Christmas. You just don't do that. Especially because it's Christmas."

Jenny let out another sharp laugh. "Right? It's the unspoken rule. You don't break up with someone during the holidays. You wait until afterwards. You do it on January 2nd. New year, new you. But no he just had to have it out with me before New Years."

"What do you mean have it out with you?" May asked.

"You know what he told me was the reason he was breaking up with me? He said he couldn't date someone who wouldn't be real. What's that supposed to mean? I'm hardly some plastic barbie doll. I am ambitious, fun, and I care about how I present myself. These are not bad traits to have in a significant other." May nodded in agreement, lips pursed to keep from saying what she was thinking.

"It's not my fault that he didn't have the same standards and I constantly had to fix his wardrobe, or his hair. In fact he should be thanking me. I brought him from a 6 to an 8 just by changing his hairstyle and clothes. I bought him an entirely new wardrobe for crying out loud! Do you know how many times he bought me something new and expensive and beautiful? Zero." Jenny stabbed her spoon in the ice cream container before continuing.

"That's nada in English and French. Know how I know that? We found out he's part French so I took an interest in his culture, for him. Learned a bunch of french, bought clothes from a ton of french designers. I kept dropping hints about going to Paris. All of that to help connect with him and his heritage because he'd go on and on and on about how important family is to him. How does he repay my interest? By dumping me one week before Christmas."

May nodded as her friend ranted, letting her hands be busy with straightening things up. She got to Jenny's mail pile sorting the junk mail and ads from the Christmas cards. She paused as she came across one with a familiar face on it.

"Speaking of family, is this a Christmas card from your sister? I didn't realize you guys were talking again." May held up the card for Jenny to look at while she read the back.

"We're not. She always sends a Christmas postcard that is, of course, made out of recycled materials because she is the chief stewardess of the world and no one else can do nearly as much good as her by being so in touch with the earth." Jenny mocked.

"Dang she has a lot of cats." May flipped the card back and forth counting cats and comparing them to the names on the back of the card. "Twelve?!"

"Oh yeah, she definitely crossed into crazy cat lady territory eons ago." Jenny walked back to the living room flopping onto the couch leaving the plate and glasses at the counter with May. "Something about saving the strays. Good way to stay single if you ask me."

"That's nice of her to send you a Christmas card at least." Jenny dismissed May's comment with an annoyed wave of her hand. "Do you think you'll do something with her and your parents since..."

"Since I don't have a boyfriend to spend it with now doing something romantic like go to Paris. Paris in the winter...Anyways no, no I won't see any of them for Christmas."

"You guys can't be that at odds. She's your sister. Family will always be there for you. They kind of have to, otherwise what's the point of having family since you can't choose them?" May asked with a laugh.

"My question exactly. Do you think it's too late to exchange them?" Jenny asked with a laugh. "There's no big reason we're not going to see each other, it just wouldn't work logistically. My parents have been empty nesters for years now. They moved out of state and they've been traveling to exotic places for Christmas for the last few years. They're already left on a cruise for Australia as this year's adventure. They won't be back til after New Years. And my sister? Honestly she's probably at some sort of hippy, commune, winter retreat with---"

"No way!" May interrupted. "No way, no way, no way, no way! Did you see this?" May was practically yelling with excitement as she waved a golden envelope wildly around. Jenny bolted off of the couch and into the kitchen.

"Is that...?" Jenny was practically holding her breath as she took the envelope from May turning it over to reveal an elegant red seal.

May hugged Jenny tightly. "I can't believe you didn't tell me you got one! This is a huge freaking deal!" May pulled back so Jenny could open the letter.

"I had no idea. I was sorting mail when Jack came over and I forgot to finish." Jenny carefully peeled the seal off of the envelope, careful not to damage it. She slid her finger under the fold slowly opening it so that it wouldn't rip in an unseemly way. There staring back at her was a crisp white invitation festively decorated. She pulled it out reading it over once, twice, than a third time before lowering it to look into May's beaming face. Jenny grinned back, unable to help it.

"They've invited me to attend the exclusive Christmas party this year. You know what that means?" Jenny asked excitedly.

"Heck yeah! That means you're going to wipe that stupid smirk off of Melanie's face when you get into the mentorship program and she doesn't. You might even get to be her boss after a year or two. How satisfying would that be to get to give her the crappy assignments?"

"As long as I give you the crappy ones too. I have to seem like a fair ruler." Jenny joked.

"No! Not the filing room again. It's so dark and the electronics are from the 90's! Please, my lady. Have a heart for a poor corporate junkie like myself." May feigned despair while Jenny laughed at the theatrics.

"But seriously, you know that someday I want to run a company. This could be the next step to that."

"You're absolutely going to rock it." A yawn escaped. "With that though I'm going to call it a night. Tomorrow's going to be here way too soon." May snagged her stuff before walking to the front door with Jenny.

Turning back around May put her hand on Jenny's shoulder looking her dead in the eyes. "I'm glad you can end the night on a high note. You're strong, I know you'll be fine. But it's ok to be sad every once in a while too."

"I know. But I'm great, really. I mean, how can I not be with this?" Jenny held up the invitation. They waved goodbye before Jenny closed and locked the door behind her friend. Resting her head against it she let out a heavy sigh. A tear escaped, rolling down her face. She brushed it away angrily before heading to bed.