Chapter 6

Jenny knocked quickly on the front door, shifting from one foot to the other as she waited. She looked around the porch taking in her sisters unorganized, natural style. The entire front porch of her sister's one level ranch was filled with natural Christmas decor, pinecones, evergreen garlands, wreaths; small lantern lights illuminated the front porch in a soft warm glow. Begrudgingly she acknowledged to herself that it felt very cozy. The door swung open revealing a young woman in her early twenties in linen pj pants with wild red hair held back with a headband; a cat that was perching on her shoulder stared curiously at Jenny.

"Hey JJ." Claire said with some reservation.

"Hey Claire." Jenny responded similarly.

Claire gestured for her to come in, stepping back so Jenny could pass by with her overly large purse overflowing with random things she'd been able to claim from the damaged apartment. Jenny stopped a few steps in, taking in her sister's house. It was incredibly full; full of life, of plants, cats, and natural decor. Fully embracing boho-chic it was a very full home, there wasn't an empty space she could see. There were throw pillows and blankets on the couch with a Christmas tree framed between that and a rocking chair.

A fat tuxedo cat jumped up on the couch in front of Jenny as Claire closed the door behind her sister. He meowed loudly at her before rubbing up against her. Jenny instantly tensed up, backing up. As she did she tripped over something that squeaked loudly. Claire instantly bent over scooping up a grey tabby kitten. "What're you doing running under foot Cicero?"

She turned towards her sister. "Sorry about that, he's a new foster and still learning how to navigate legs without tripping people." Claire set Cicero on the couch next to the fat tuxedo. Jenny nodded her head glancing around the room trying to count the cats coming in and out. Claire opened her mouth to say something then closed it, absentmindedly petting her cat as she tried to come up with something to say.

It was an awkwardness only siblings could create. Finally Claire took a deep breath turning to her sister. "Sooo, do you want to talk about what happened to your place?"

"Oh that, I'm making some updates and I thought if you were in town it would be a good time to see you. For the holidays." Jenny responded confidently.

"Odd time of night to do renovations."

"Although I have to say I'm a little surprised. I thought you'd be in the mountains somewhere with a bunch of friends talking about composting or making natural Christmas ornaments."

A sleek brown cat sniffed around Jenny's bag.

"Oh you know the psychic at my hippy commune told me you'd be calling for Christmas." Claire responded sarcastically. "How many times do I have to tell you that's not my vibe. I just like nature and don't want a corporate job. Besides I'm a very--you know what, never mind. It's too late to be having it out with you already. I'll show you your room and we can talk over brunch tomorrow." Claire bent down to move a few cats that had decided to congregate around them.

The brown cat hopped into Jenny's bag.

"Sounds good to me." Jenny retorted.

The antique grandfather clock against the far wall chimed midnight. Lost in their own worlds, Claire and Jenny subconsciously made the sign for twelve against their forehead, moving it to their right shoulder.

Claire straightened up, heading down the hall as Jenny struggled to pick up her bag, hurrying after her. Claire stopped just outside of the doorway of the guest room. She pointed inwards then to a door a little way down the hall. "This is the guest room. Guest bathroom is down the hallway over there. Towels are in the closet across from the bathroom. I'll see you in the morning." With that Claire headed to her own room.

Jenny stared into the guest room. She couldn't believe she was here. At her sister's house. After being dumped and then almost burning down her apartment. "This'll be a Christmas for the books." Jenny muttered to herself before going into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

-----------------------

Something firm pressed against her stomach. It pressed again. Then again. Something kept pressing against her stomach in a pad, pad, pad, pad pattern. Jenny's eyes fluttered open, not ready to wake up. She let out a surprised yell as she saw a sleek brown cat sitting on her stomach kneading it's front paws into her. She sat up quickly, the brown cat jumping off her stomach and onto a nearby desk annoyed. The fat, tuxedo cat from last night was curled up asleep at the foot of her bed oblivious to her sudden movements. She looked around the room only to find another cat she hadn't seen last night sitting in the window staring intently at something.

"Where the hell did you guys come from?" She asked frustratedly. The brown cat stared at her from the desk, obviously annoyed at her. She stared back at it equally annoyed. Still staring at her the cat knocked a nearby pen off the desk. Then it knocked off another pen.

"You are the definition of catty." Jenny muttered to herself as the cat knocked a colorful piece of paper off the desk before hopping off. Jenny watched the cat saunter to the door then hook its paw under the door, widening it enough to slide through. Jenny shook her head in annoyance, as bent down to pick up the things that had been knocked off.

Picking up the pens and piece of paper she noticed her name written in large letters on one side. Curious she flipped it over reading the note her sister had left her. It was an invitation to grab brunch with her at a nearby coffee shop. Moving to the bed Jenny flipped the card back and forth a few times as she thought through her options. She'd already called and left messages last night with all of the contractors she needed to come fix her place. She couldn't get in to grab anything else until they assessed the water damage. There was really nothing left to do but wait.

The fat tuxedo rubbed against her before stepping across her lap and the paper in her hand to the pillow she had been sleeping on. "For real? I'm on the edge of the bed. You couldn't have walked anywhere else to get to my pillow?" The cat yawned before going back to sleep.

Her stomach grumbled at her. "Fine. I'm up anyways, might as well go."