Restless

"So he's a wizard. A real-life wizard?"

"Uh-huh."

"Wow."

Regulus Arcturus Black was supposed to be resting and one of the children currently staring at him while he lay on his cousin's couch was supposed to be letting him rest. Instead, Grace Russell decided to bring over a couple of her friends to ogle at him.

He closed his eyes when Brandon left, still perplexed that Cassie's stepson who was obviously a Muggle actually knew about Dark Marks and such. Also on his mind was how Cassie picked up on the fact things weren't right between him and Sirius, but her bringing that subject up was just one of the many uncomfortable things going on, including the voices in his head.

At least the couch was comfortable, even if he found himself unable to sleep.

Being awake meant Regulus heard the faint sound of the children attempting to approach him quietly as he lay on the couch, his eyes shut tightly.

Quiet, they were not, not when one of Grace's two friends said in an overly loud whisper. "I don't think we should be doing this. Nick's going to get both of us in trouble."

"It's okay, Anthony," Grace said, not bothering to whisper as she walked closer, almost as if she knew he was awake and not whispering—she was, after all, Cassie's daughter, so it made sense she could sense things people normally didn't.

He hated when it happened to him, always keeping mum, yet the memory of Cassie placing him in her lap and whispering something about understanding what it was like to feel things so acutely—yet, he never remembered her ever struggling to deal with the emotions.

Regulus' mouth twitched as the children grew closer, which was when her friend Nick piped up. "So he's a wizard. A real-life wizard?"

"Uh-huh," Grace muttered as she leaned forward in a manner that let Regulus feel her breath on his face.

"Wow," Anthony said despite having said something about getting in trouble, yet...

"Don't," Regulus said, not wanting to be poked by the inquisitive finger coming his way. "I'm actually awake."

"You're supposed to be resting," Grace said in a sing-song manner, almost as if she came in because she knew he wasn't sleeping. "Mom said so."

"Trying to rest and actually being able to do so are two very different things," Regulus muttered, keeping his eyes shut.

"He must be. I mean, he could tell without..."

"Excuse me, but what did Cassie say about not bothering Regulus?"

He didn't recognize the voice, but kept his eyes closed shut, trying to ignore what was going on around Cassie's place. Regulus still didn't understand how he'd managed to end up there, of all places, after being in the cave.

"Now, you three head on out. See if grandpa has anything that you might help with so that the three of you will stay out of trouble."

Regulus' mouth twitched as he heard the three children running away. "You're female."

"Are all magical people..."

"No. And we don't talk about it when we are," Regulus muttered.

"Well, you're not very nice."

"So I've been told."

"Or should I brush it off as you being grumpy because you're trying to rest? Still, if you need anything."

"Thank you, but not right yet."

"That surprises me a little."

Regulus opened his eyes and turned his head so he looked up at a young woman with blond hair. He couldn't read her—he couldn't read emotions like he could read other things, such as the fact he was approached by a female, or how he knew the right way to approach someone without being noticed. "Why?"