Chapter 1

As the elements lashed it, the Palace stood unmoving and unchanged for centuries. It was the only sign that anyone had ever lived on - or even touched - the island it sat on.

Both of these facts perplexed any archaeologists who had visited it in the centuries since it had been discovered.

Of the many theories postulated about it, a popular theory was that it was from the Centumi - one of the many civilizations that had lived near the island. Other theories included that it was made by settlers from the other side of the world - the land of the Aragahnni and Ohnakan civilizations.

None of those theories fully fit, though.

It sat within the confines of one of the Palace's many chambers. A fine layer of dust had grown on its surface over the millennia.

It had been placed there with direct orders - to wait for its creators to return, be it from the Thaw or from the Fleet.

However, even it - a being whose only purpose was to follow orders - was getting impatient.

Its internal chronometer showed that a great length of time - longer than they had said it would be. A sense of impatience was mounting.

That was when it sensed the frequency sent out by the Fleet - or something very close to it. It sent out a reply signal immediately and sat in wait for a response...

Inside of a pub nearby the island, a group of unusual people were gathered. These people weren't exactly foreign to the natives but were still unusual.

These were the archaeologists - loud, bombastic creatures. Prime among them was Professor Aquanghazi - a particularly vividly-dressed woman with a voice like a foghorn.

"Well then my fellows, I have a very special guest!" said Aquanghazi - announcing this to every patron. Even the ones who weren't archaeologists "Someone who could help us in our most recent expedition to the Palace!"

The first new arrival took a sip of the local brandy as Aquanghazi finished her announcement "A Time Lord!"

At this point, the bartender came out. A cringing man with a bowed back from an accident involving a Thnaar many years ago, Porlack wasn't exactly the best that the state of Urghannigan had to offer. In his mind, the archaeologists were foreign but their newest members were downright beastial.

One had a face like a giant aphid - two compound eyes seemingly looking back at him. It had a glistening purple carapace and a large mouth with four fangs hanging out of the sides.

The other, however, instantly caught Porlack's attention. The yellow fur and rabbit-like face helped but this figure was striking for another reason. Her beauty.

Porlack then noticed that the archaeologists seemed ready to leave. Porlack swooped in like a vulture. "Ah, I see that you are about to leave. Hopefully everything was to your liking?"

The female newcomer scrounged around in her pockets and pulled out something that resembled red disks with a black hexagon in the center.

Porlack very quickly realized that this wasn't the currency of his nation. "If you are unable to supply legal tender I can arrange a more unconventional method of payment". Porlack then stooped down and supplied his hand.

The newcomer laughed and grabbed his hand - and then twisted hard. Porlack felt an immense pain in his arm as it broke. Then he fell to the floor.

"Now I'm ready to leave" said the newcomer as Porlack heard her chair moving back.

The rest of the archaeologists followed shortly afterwards.