Dress (Steve Rogers)

"You'd look great in any of these, but you better hurry up or we'll be late."

Steve was walking around the department store with you, helping you choose a dress for the Avengers party that he has asked you to join him at. And of course, you had left it too late. He had shown up at your door in a suit, and you immediately knew what you had done. You told him to just go without you, you didn't have a dress to wear that would stand up to what Nat, Wanda, Pepper, and the other women would wear, so you didn't mind sitting out.

Shaking his head, he raised his eyebrow at you. "I'm not going without you, darlin. So grab your bag, we have a stop to make."

Laughing, you grabbed your bag, threw on some shoes, and followed him out into the street.

You sighed as you rifled through the racks. "I told you to just leave me at home. I can't decide what I want to wear."

Steve came up behind you and placed his hands on your shoulders. "And I told you that I'm not going without you."

The weight of him on your shoulders sent a jolt through you. You shook it off. Steve had been one of your closest friends for a while now, and you didn't want any feelings you had towards him ruining that. Even though being around him was getting more and more difficult, you also couldn't stay away.

You turned to look at him, noting what colour he was wearing, and it was your turn to lift an eyebrow. "I know what I'll do." Steve looked at you, curious. "I'll be the red to your blue."

As you walked into the party on Steve's arm, you felt many eyes grazing over you

As you walked into the party on Steve's arm, you felt many eyes grazing over you. The dress you had chosen was simple, but also eye-catching. It was a bright red, floor length number, with a thigh high slit and a deep V to show off your cleavage. Steve's eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw you walk out of the changing room in it, so you knew it was the one.

From the other side of the room, you saw Nat waving you over, so you turned to Steve, motioned that you were heading over to her, and he nodded as he let you go.

"You look drop dead gorgeous tonight," Nat said to you as you settled in a chair next to her.

"Thanks, I'm just glad I finally settled on something."

You saw a smirk settle on her face, and you rolled your eyes.

"What is it Nat?"

"I think I know who you picked that dress for. And it definitely wasn't you."

You chuckled and shook your head. "We are just friends! There's no way he would ever look at me as anything else."

There was a twinkle in Nat's eye, one you knew meant that she knew something and wasn't going to tell. So you told her you were going to get a drink, and ended up chatting with Sam at the bar.

———————-

It was now a few drinks later and you were having a great time. You hadn't seen Steve in a little while, but you weren't worried, he was probably off reminiscing with Bucky somewhere.