Not So Offbeat Steps

The purple Satin gown swayed back and forth by each clack of the black heels, as a brunette haired woman approached her partner, who was donning a black suit and a big smile. She reached out her hands towards his as her purple-tinted lips drew into a curve, and her brown eyes glinted seductively.

With their hands coming into contact, the dim room, painted with blue fluorescent lights, is suddenly splashed by a wave of soft, low notes of a piano.

The couple's feet moved together in a slow rhythm in sync with the music, their eyes locked onto each other. Persistently following the other's gaze and breath, they let themselves drown in the music.

Soon after, the vocals also rush in to make their presence known. The song was in English, so they didn't understand the words. But the emotions it carried was clear to them as it is the song they have listened to quite frequently.

City of stars, being its name, perfectly matched the atmosphere of this room and a romantic Friday night.

Their feet moved around, starting from the right, to front, to back, and again to right. With no miss in the beat, the man held her back to swing her around.

Her dress swept around the floor in a swift arc. They chuckled with the music and continued their waltz.

Behind the slight opening of the door, a small child gasped slowly as he observed their graceful moves across the dance floor with sparkling eyes.

.
.
.

Flickering sunlight washed his face that escaped through the gaps of the fluttering silver curtains, causing his face to wrinkle in retort. He fought off the attack of brightness as he turned around to continue his sleep.

Pulling up the blankets to cover him properly, he smiled as the drowsiness of the cold yet tranquil morning slowly pulled him back to-

*Sshk!*

"Wh-what?!"

The warm blanket that protected him from the chilly wind was snatched away from him. His now exposed body had nothing to hide with. It felt like an important part of him was taken away.

The thief- the person who took away his precious blanket was standing on the bed, near to his shivering feet.

"Wake up, I suppose."

"Uhh, five more minutes."

"Subaru's definition of five minutes is quite different from normal humans, I suppose."

"Hey, are you calling your contractor abnormal early in the morning?"

"Not abnormal...but unique, I suppose. The last time you said you needed five more minutes to finish that book, you ended up staying all night reading it, in fact. Also, it's noon, I suppose."

The girl, Beatrice shook her head in disappointment as Subaru grumbled and grabbed her hand.

"Hunyananana!"

A ridiculous, yet extremely cute noise squeaked out her mouth as her body was forcefully dragged into Subaru's arms, who used this opportunity to snatch the blanket from her hand and pull it over them.

He patted her head and peace returned to his face.

"But Beakooo, look how comfortable this is. Let's just sleep for a little longer. Finally, after a long while I managed to get a good night's sleep, you know."

"...."

She didn't say anything, but her hand that went onto hold his gave him the answer. He chuckled and closed his eyes. Relishing the warmth, he looked back into the dream he had.