Enchiladas Cure Heartbreak

Her heart pulsated with each step she took closer to his apartment, the nervousness arising from her prepared declaration of love speech that she had fantasized about many times before. This time it was real. After seven years of friendship, she was done with being a coward, it was the perfect time to rip off the band-aid since they were heading to university, embarking on a new journey with new beginnings and potentially new feelings.

Raising her fist to knock on the door, she was caught off-guard by it swinging open abruptly, her eyes widened like a deer caught in headlights. This wasn't how she had planned it in her head. Factors had changed and would perhaps change the outcome of her confession. Overscrutinizing, the one trait which had driven her to self-destruction every time she had convinced herself the timing was right.

"I-"

"Maia," He piped up, bubbling with enthusiasm, which made her heart skip a beat.

At this point, she couldn't even hear anything other than the sound of her heartbeat, the clamminess of her hands made her happiness turn to worry in case he held her hand and became disgusted by it.

"Come in," he seemed in a hurry, directing her into the apartment, the familiar heavenly scent of him seemed to have imprinted on the furniture as it was all she could smell. "I can't wait to tell you!"

"Tell me what?" Maia prepared herself, wondering if she was dreaming.

Could he be confessing first?

"I should have told you earlier but I just got the message a few minutes ago," he confessed, his smile never faltering but instead growing with each word. "I didn't think it was possible. Rue said she liked me and she wanted to meet up to talk."

"Rue? As in Rue from college?" Maia was flabbergasted.

Diego was handsome, there was no doubt, she had just assumed he had no interest in anyone since he hadn't talked anyone to her. They shared everything. Why did he never mention Rue?

"Yeah," his excitement suddenly faded to guilt. "I know we were supposed to have dinner and watch a movie tonight but would it be okay if I skipped out just for half an hour to speak to her?"

No... Oh, how she longed to protest but she couldn't. Standing in her bestfriends way of happiness was wrong but what about her happiness? With just one word, the dynamics of their relationship could change forever.

"Yeah, no biggie." Bluffing as if her heart hadn't shattered into a million pieces.

"Thank you so much," he pulled her in for a hug, the act of skinship causing her eyes to sting. She could feel the tears welling up as her vision became blurry. "I'll treat you, I promise! Just wait for me, half an hour and I'll be back."

Pride? Non-existent as she nodded her head in agreement, her eyes trailing his figure as he pulled away and headed over to his brothers' bedroom, opening the door and saying something before the two headed back into the living room together.

"My brothers gonna make his famous enchiladas for us," He cheerfully chimed, grabbing his jacket and rushing over to the door. "I'll be back by the time they're cooked. Save some for me!"

Without another word, he had already sprinted out the door, leaving Maia alone in his apartment, his brother ignoring her presence as he headed over to the fridge, grabbing out various ingredients.

Feeling completely disheartened, she dragged her feet, making her way over to the kitchen island and slumping down on a stall, placing her head into her hands and sighing.

"Bad day?" The brother's thick Hispanic accent piped up. She had forgotten how he had sounded since she rarely saw him.

Their family had immigrated from Spain when they were young, the brother had been older, therefore he had more knowledge of the language and had already adapted an accent before moving to England, whereas, Diego had been born in England, knowing the language but never adapting any kind of a thick accent like the rest of his family.