Two

Laughter and banter could be heard from a tavern, a few lights inside illuminating the streets nearby. The sound of shattering glass bit its way through the voices, making the woman jump slightly as she came to a halt next to the building. Her long, dark cloak and hood allowed her to blend with the shadows as she pulled it tighter around her, eyes scanning her surroundings. The wound in her side pulsed uncomfortably and with each step she took, she sent a wave of pain through her body.

Her healing might have prevented it from being life-threatening, but the pain wouldn't cease. She was lucky enough that the shore she had found didn't lie too far from the cave where she kept most of her things, so she could quickly fetch her cloak and leave for the city.

The night provided shady beings with shelter, and so it was way more dangerous to roam the undercity after dusk, but she had long gotten used to the feeling of being watched and followed. A few men, large tattooed individuals who twirled daggers between their fingers skillfully, glanced at her but the cloak shielded her from view. Soon, they lost interest and turned back to their conversation.

She walked past the tavern, seeing shadows through the windows, as her bare feet hit the ground almost soundlessly. Distant music accompanied her as she kept her head low and her shoulders hanging as to not draw attention to herself. Sometimes, confidence could very quickly put a mark on your back in the undercity, and she wasn't in the state to brawl.

Multiple neon signs of varying colors illuminated the streets as she reached a platform which offered a good view of the levels beneath and the taverns and shops it offered. She put her hands on the cold metal railing as she gazed down, watching people drink, talk and fight. The lights irritated her eyes and tears blurred her view, but she tried blinking them away. From her position, she could see the several levels beneath her, divided by a large gap in the middle which was secured with walls just high enough to see the other side of the promenade.

She searched the levels for an apothecary sign, her grip around the railing tightening subconsciously. A sudden wave of pain made her press her lips together, not wanting to give away her fragile state to anyone willing to use it to their advantage. Danger always followed you in the undercity, like a shadow you could not get rid of.

Muffled music got louder for a moment; someone had opened the front door to the club behind her, only for it to fade behind a closed door again soon after. She turned her head, observing the figure that had left the club out of the corner of her eye. It was a woman with a dark complexion and obvious muscle, highlighted by shadows which the lights cast on her. She was drinking straight from a bottle and mumbling something to herself about bad service before vanishing in the darkness of an alley close by.

She looked to the now closed door of the club briefly, though there was no sign on it. Another wave of pain made her refocus; she had wasted too much time already.

Far away on the level directly beneath her, she spotted the tell-tale light of a partially broken cross, its light radiant against the dark of the stone surrounding it. Grunting, she pushed herself away from the railing and made her way towards the stairs on the left which were located at the corner between the platform and street of this level. It was crowded, and so she had to twist and turn to avoid bumping into someone as she descended the stairs.

On the lower level, there were less people than above. Probably due to the lack of nightclubs and bars, especially at this time of the day. She quickly pushed herself past the people at the foot of the stairs and hurried across the left street towards the cross sign she had spotted earlier. The gap in the middle made it possible for her to gaze down at the other levels. The further she looked, the darker it got, and so she couldn't quite make out the figures on the lowest levels.