number thirteen

Nathaniel Azevedo 

We were all sitting down and conversing. We had already ordered as well. Ariel's phone started buzzing rapidly on the table. He picked it up with wide eyes before unlocking it. His eyes and fingers darted across his screen then he set his phone down. His phone started ringing to which he grumbled and stood up, excusing himself before leaving the table. I read the name of the contact before he left.

Alex.

The kids busied themselves with different things while I turned my attention to the Nerium Oleander outside. His mouth was moving rapidly as his phone was pressed against his ear. He turned towards the building, and I averted my eyes quickly. Looking around the restaurant before slowly drifting my eyes back outside.

He was rubbing his eyes before he said something else and then hung up the phone. He was back inside soon after. I was going to ask him about it but realized we aren't friends nor close enough for that. So I kept quiet and spoke when spoken to.

"Hey, Nathaniel."

I looked up from my phone, clicking it off and setting it aside.

"Mm?"

"Aren't you like famous or something?"

"Well, in some retrospects yes. Whether that be my acting career, my dancing career, or my modeling career, I'd say my parents, who own their own companies, would do it. So yes, why?" I finished my answer with my tongue between my teeth.

Ariel stared at me with disgust before taking a sip of his smoothie. I held back my laughter as he rolled his eyes but continued.

"Anyway."

I laughed.

"You haven't been spotted once. Not one time since we've been doing this thing. Is that not weird to you?" Ariel tilted his head awaiting my response.

"I suppose. But I'm not complaining. When I travel I'm noticed a lot more and it's bothersome."

"Bothersome," Ariel repeated quietly.

I don't think he expected me to hear him.

As I was about to say something more, a trio of different shades of blondes rushed over to our table.

The darkest blonde spoke up first.

"Are you Nathaniel Azevedo?" Her eyes were wider than the moon itself.

"Like Nathaniel Azevedo who played Amato Brin from Dark Light?" The lightest blonde girl leaned closer to me.

I turned my head from them to squint at Ariel in annoyance as he hid his fox-like grin before turning back to them.

"And if I am?"

The girls squealed and bombarded me with questions. I stood up and asked them to follow me, away from the table. I didn't answer most of their questions as they were either extreme, ignorant, or personal. I signed a few pictures and pieces of paper they had and took a few photos.

"I would really appreciate it if you ladies didn't post any of those images until maybe next week if at all." I smiled at them.

All three of them nodded quickly with high-pitched voices before rushing out.

I made my way back to the table and sat down in my respective seat.

"You jinxed me." That was what left my mouth once I finally sat down.

"I can just tell the future." He covered his huge smile with his hand.

"Uh-huh." I poked the inner part of my cheek with my tongue.

Ariel cachinnated like his life depended on it.