hinata s. | one unforgettable summer

x fem!reader
word count: 3907
warnings: manga spoilers! time skip mentions! read at your own discretion/risk!
notes: anything written in quoted italics is implied portuguese. also reader is said to have brazillian features but nothing specific.

from the moment she was brought into the world, y/n had always spent the summer months in a small house by the beach in rio de janeiro, brazil. the house had been her mother's childhood home and in the years following her birth, her parents made sure that she knew exactly where she came from. the honest truth was, that same little tan house was also her own childhood home, having been born in brazil and living there until just before her seventh birthday. it was then that her parents decided to move their family to japan, her fathers birthplace, after he got the job he had always dreamt of having. since then, they started visiting brazil during the summer to spend time with her mother's side of the family. even now, as a twenty-one year old university student, she still found herself enjoying the time she spent on those familiar rio beaches.

it was the beginning of june and for the first time ever, y/n was visiting her family all by herself. the beginning of the year had been difficult on her parents and their roles at work changed drastically. her mother was a nurse at a highly ranked hospital and because of a recent decrease in staff, her hours had increased enough to keep her in japan for the summer. on the other hand, her father had been offered a higher position at his current workplace that didn't allow him the same period of vacation time, instead leaving him to have a break during the winter season. all things considered, y/n's parents encouraged her to travel to rio on her own for the summer and take a much needed break from her studies. while she had been reluctant at first, it didn't take much convincing after a phone call from her cousins that ultimately persuaded her to stick to the original travel plan. now that she had spent two weeks catching up with her aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents, she couldn't wait to start the real fun.

the following week, however, had been anything but fun. y/n and her five closest cousins, all between the ages of twenty to twenty-six, were stuck inside watching the younger kids or doing odd jobs around the house that needed to be done 'as soon as possible'. luckily enough though, opportunity struck one afternoon when y/n's oldest cousin, salvador, suggested the six of them go out to play night volleyball. with no hesitation, they ran out of the house before anyone had the chance to ask where they were going. y/n didn't even bother grabbing her own shoes and slipped on a pair of bright orange sandals she found on the porch. once they ran a block and a half away from the house, the group of six slowed to a walking pace and held a conversation the rest of the way down to the beach.

y/n and the others walked towards the courts and waited for a net to clear up while dividing themselves into three teams of two. this of course didn't happen without a little argument but they were able to clear things up before they took their places at an empty court. by this point, the sun had set completely and they were playing under y/n's favorite conditions. the moon was full and reflecting it's silver light over the water and the bright lamps alongside the courts illuminated just enough for the players to be able to see the ball and their surroundings. y/n and andré, her teammate, were sitting on the sand behind their court watching and keeping score for the game currently in progress between the rest of their cousins.

as much as she wanted to focus on the stupid banter between her cousins, y/n found her gaze drifting to the court besides theirs. it wasn't a game any different than the one they had going on, the two teams standing opposite of each other were playing great and it seemed like the score was close but she couldn't tear her eyes away from the group of strangers. or rather, she couldn't look away from one of the players in particular.

he looked to be around the same age as she was and if he wasn't, y/n doubted he was more than a year older. his copper hair seemed to shine under the light of the moon and the shirt he was wearing did wonders on his body. even from a distance she could see the outlines of his muscles underneath the fabric as he moved his body to attack the ball. but she was especially drawn to the smile on his face when his teammate scored a tough point.