Lunch

"I'm sorry what?" You ask, raising an eyebrow, unsure of why they were asking you to be their ally.

I mean, you were around their age but that was pretty much all you had in common.

Katniss flips her hair, looking at you blankly.

"Well, Haymitch said that we need to pick our allies before the game and you're pretty decent so..." Peeta shrugs, running a hand through his blonde hair.

"Yeah, you're also the only person here who doesn't act like they're hiding something." Katniss adds, tilting her head slightly.

She was right, the others were hiding stuff and now you were partly in on the secret, you figured it'd be hard hiding that fact from your new allies for long.

As long as you could help them, that was all that mattered right?

"Oh, thanks I guess." You say, giving them a polite grin before turning back to Mags who was making fish hooks.

Katniss and Peeta watched the two of you work for around thirty seconds before asking to join in.

You found it amusing that you were in a training centre for fighting yet you were spending your time creating fish hooks.

The four of you get to work for a little and lunch comes sooner than you'd expected.

You line up for your dinner in the canteen where you were given food that wasn't as good as the stuff that you got in the evening but compared to the food back in eight, it was divine.

You dig into the roast potatoes as Finnick slides down to sit beside you.

He places his meal down on the metal table before turning to you.

"Good one." He says, lifting his knife and fork.

You pull a confused expression as you chomp making Finnick chuckle.

"Chatting to twelve." He says, "It w-"

You quickly interrupt, most likely spewing little bits of food on the table.

"Yeah, about that, hold on." You swallow before continuing, "Why are we protecting the-"

You stop because your fellow tribute was staring at you as if you'd done something horrible.

"I wouldn't talk so loudly about that." He speaks sternly.

Before you could reply, Finnick got up, dragging his tray over towards Johanna as she death stared at the careers.

Just as Finnick was about to sit down next to his friends, he looks back at you before continuing.

"And also." He grins, "I think you know the answer to the question you were asking."

You watch the two tributes whisper to each other as Katniss and Peeta dump their trays beside yours.

"What was that about?" Katniss asks, referring to Finnick.

"Finnick being Finnick I guess." You grin.

Before long, you'd managed to spark a conversation between the three of you.

And at the end of the meal you were all laughing so much that you barely noticed the other tributes staring as if you were crazy.

You didn't mind though.

You were happy you'd found some friends.

It was nice to have company before you had to brutally massacre one another.