Chapter 2: An Angel

Early June 1981

Fabian Prewett was having an amazing day. He and his twin brother, Gideon, finally managed to put to bed the frustrating case of wizards distributing dark artifacts down in London. They finished the paperwork in record time and Alastair Moody even grunted 'Not a bad job, Prewetts' which was high praise coming from brusque, paranoid Head Auror.

He and Gideon ended work early and decided to celebrate down at their favourite pub in the heart of Muggle London. They strolled along the streets in very high spirits, pausing occasionally to admire the shops.

"You'd think Fred and George would like that?" Gideon peered at the window display of a Muggle magic shop, tilting his head towards a red box with the words 'The Beginner's Set to Magic! Everything you need to wow your family and friends' printed in bold, black letters at the front of the box.

Fabian had to chuckle as he thought fondly of his mischievous twin nephews. "Well, they would get a kick out of it, that's for sure. But, I think the one next to it is more suited for our doppelgangers."

Gideon looked to where Fabian was indicating and an impish grin immediately took over his face. 'The Prankster's Ultimate Kit: From Itching Powder to Farting Cushions! We got it all to fulfil your trickster heart!' stood loud and proud in gold letters across the blue box.

"Hmm, Molly would definitely kill us if she sees us giving that to them," Gideon said gravely, the picture of their imposing little sister coming to mind.

Fabian nodded solemnly. "Oh absolutely. We might not even be invited to Burrow for dinner ever again."

Gideon straightened up, smirking as he caught Fabian's eye. "That would be such a travesty...so we hide it under their pillows just before they sleep?"

Fabian clasped his hand on his twins, his smiling blue eyes betraying his solemn expression. "Brilliant plan, brother dear. See, this is why I keep you around."

Gideon snorted, shrugging off the hand on his shoulders. Fabian just grinned and tucked his hands into the pockets of his jeans. He glanced around the streets absentmindedly as Gideon continued to peruse the store's window front for other possible gifts for the rest of their nephews.

He noticed two girls - sisters, he assumed - walking side by side a few ways ahead of them across the street. The girl with the black hair was shivering badly, tightening her brown coat around her body as the two of them turned into the dim alleyway in front of them. Fabian snickered, familiar with the area enough to know that the girls turned into a dead end. Fabian's eyes shifted to his brother and just as he was about to nudge Gideon to hurry up, a flurry of black robes caught his attention.

The feeling of dread washed over him as he looked up sharply to spot a group of Death Eaters - five of them - slowly approaching the alleyway the two girls had just entered. He elbowed Gideon as his other hand retrieved his wand out of its holster. Gideon opened his mouth, no doubt to complain, but he stopped short when he saw Fabian's tight expression. Gideon spun around to look at his twin's line of sight and he immediately tensed up, his hand flying to his own wand.

"Two Muggles just entered that alleyway there. Dead end. Five Death Eaters blocking the only exit." Fabian gave a quick rundown of the situation as the Prewett twins moved into the shadows, their eyes trained on the dark wizards.

Gideon swore under his breath. Fabian nodded grimly, knowing what was running through his mind. The odds weren't good. The alleyway was too narrow and with the only means of escape blocked, getting out with the Muggles safely proved to be a problem. They could Apparate their way out with the Muggles but with five wands in the hands of the dark wizards trained on them, it would be a rather impossible feat. They could alert the Order but judging by how the Death Eaters are gripping their wands, the backup would arrive too late.