Chapter 7: Meeting New and Old Friends

Author's note: Hello, lovelies :) It took me a while to write the ending of this chapter. There were many rewrites and rephrasing but I think I'm rather pleased with how it finally turned out. If you've realised by now, I've removed the prologue from the chapters. I had a little brainstorming session and I restructured the story a bit so I wanted to fit the contents of the prologue later on. So for those who still remember the prologue, do keep it a secret for now ;). Without further ado, onto the chapter!

---------------------------------

Mid-June 1981, The Burrow

The Burrow was most certainly not boring. Maybe it was the appeal of living in a home filled to the brim with magic or perhaps it was how the Weasleys were the nicest and most fascinating bunch of people Bryn ever met. Even the chores were fascinating. Despite Molly's protests, Bryn and her family insisted on helping out in the household, not wanting to freeload off of the Weasley's generosity.

And so she found herself tossing the ruddy little creatures in the gardens with the older Weasley children, something which they called de-gnoming. She always figured gnomes were happy little woodland creatures wearing pointy red hands and colourful clothes (at least from the numerous lawn ornaments Mr Winters, her next-door neighbour was so fond of collecting). But in actuality, gnomes were like small dirty potatoes with bony hands and feet sticking out paired with a horrendous attitude and razor-sharp teeth.

It was rather fun once she got over the whole swinging the gnomes over her head part and how it does not hurt them. They made it into a competition on who could fling their gnome the furthest (Chris was in the lead with 50 metres, much to Mia's chagrin). Bryn even met the ghoul in the attic, a grumpy green creature who barely glanced her way when she set a plate of food at the corner of the room and continued banging pipes, howling away.

Magical furniture was found all over the house, sometimes catching them off-guard. Mia somehow made acquaintances with the haughty mirror above the mantelpiece (it became rather humbled after a one on one session). Their dresser would only open its drawers if they tickled it just so at the right spot. Even the random bouts of magic around the house were considered completely normal.

"It's accidental magic," Bill explained when Charlie's wooden toy dragon came to life and started flying around the living room, roaring and breathing fire. Percy yelped when it came his way, ducking underneath the table. Arthur merely pointed his wand and the toy dragon became inanimate once more, clattering to the ground, much to the disappointment of Charlie and the twins.

"Kids like us can't control their magic very well so sometimes, we use magic accidentally. That's why we don't hang out with other Muggle children in case it happens."

Yes, life in the Burrow was anything but dull.

Each member of her family settled into the house in their own way. Diana and Molly became fast friends. Both being matriarchs, they had a lot in common. They were often found in the kitchen, cooking and exchanging recipes or in the gardens, where Molly taught Diana the different plants and herbs they grew, for medicinal and culinary purposes.

Arthur took a shine to Mia and her scientific brain. He often questioned her incessantly, be it at the dinner table or at the living room, curiously picking apart her brain on how electricity or telephones work. Mia patiently answered every single one in detail and in turn

Chris was often with the kids, keeping them out of Molly's hair. He once followed them to the little paddock the Weasley's owned to watch them play Quidditch, a game played on brooms. He immediately took interest and Bill explained the rules and gameplay.