20. The Hybrid

We were walking along the smoky mountains and Stefan was carrying an unconscious Ray on his shoulders.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus asked, making small talk.

"I'm fine. Allye, we getting any closer?" Stefan asked impatiently.

"Yeah, scent's getting stronger." I was walking ahead of them and tracking Ray's pack down by scent.

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for some time now. If you need some water or a little sit down..." Klaus trailed off.

"You know, I get that we're, uh...stuck together, but if we could just skip the chit chat, it'd be great." I shook my head at Stefan's brooding. Even Ripper Stefan was always brooding.

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend. Is he always like this?" Klaus asked me.

"Yep, brooding all seven days of the week, twenty-four seven." I said looking over my shoulder. I saw Stefan roll his eyes and ignored us.

"You want to talk so much, talk to Allye. I'm not the only one here." Stefan informed.

I came to a sudden stop and my nose flared as several different werewolf scents hit me.

"I think we're gonna have to skip the talking. We're here." I announced as I could see the pack making camp for the full moon tonight.

Stefan walked in front of me and approached the pack. The pack all stopped what they were doing and watched Stefan cautiously. It wasn't until Stefan put Ray on the ground did they react.

"Ray! Oh my god. What's going on?" The woman asked desperately.

Klaus walked forward and I followed behind him. It wasn't until Klaus showed up that the woman looked up and glared at Stefan.

"Who are you?" She directed towards Stefan.

"The important question is, who am I? Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus." The woman stood up slowly and backed away.

"You're the Hybrid." Klaus smiled that the woman knew who he was.

"You've heard of me. Fantastic." Klaus walked past the wolves and took a seat on a wood stump.

The wolves watched him cautiously and all were on alert. Stefan joined Klaus on the stump by I remained where I stood.

The woman then looked at me and her brows furrowed, "You look...familiar." I rose an eyebrow at that. I sure as hell didn't recognize her.

A look of realization hit her face, "I remember now, you were with those other two. You three were heading for New York two years ago. You were one of the ones that camped with us because of the full moon. Where are the other two?" The woman asked.

My jaw tightened, "You're talking about my siblings. Derek's back in California and Laura's been dead for just over a year now." The woman's eyes widen.

"Allye, I didn't realize you met this pack before." I could hear the hidden anger behind Klaus' voice.

"It was two years ago, sorry for my memory being a little hazy. I would have told you if I remembered." I informed Klaus.

Klaus eyed me a little more before backing off, "So if everyone here knows Allye and her siblings then you know that she is a...different kind of Werewolf. One that can turn at will and gets power from the full moon. Now, in some ways I'm similar to that." Klaus started off.

"It's fascinating, actually. A Werewolf who isn't beholden by the moon. A Vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true Hybrid." And as is he planned it, Ray suddenly woke up gasping.