51. American Gothic

I walked out of Bonnie's home and pulled out my cell phone. The sun had risen by now. Stefan was still talking to Bonnie upstairs. I hadn't heard from Nik and it shouldn't have taken that long.

I dialed Nik's phone but kept going to voicemail. I wonder if his phone died. I heard the sound of the front door open. I turned around to see Stefan walking out. He had an amused smile on his face and his phone in hand.

"Ooh, that's a 'Damon screwed up' look you have on right now." I said with a grin.

"Oh yeah." Stefan agreed and stopped right next to me, "Guess who got tricked by Elena, got his neck snapped by Rebekah, then ditched in New York City without his car?" I covered my mouth with my hand as a loud laugh came from me.

"Like I said. Vampire's with the switch off are unpredictable." Stefan nodded in agreement.

"You going to pick him up?" I asked.

"I have to stop by the Sheriff's station first. Liz can track down the car by its plates. Any word from Klaus?" Stefan asked.

I shook my head, "No, I think his phone died while burying the dead." I replied.

"Right. See you later, Al." I nodded and we started to walk our separate ways.

"Oh!" Stefan stopped and turned around, "When you see Damon. Please make sure to tell him I find this highly hilarious." Stefan smiled.

"Will do." I turned back around and headed for the mansion.

———

I walked into the mansion and it was eerily quiet. The smell of blood then hit my nose.

"Nik?" I called out, now on high alert. I followed the scent of blood that went towards the parlor.

"Go away." I heard Nik gruffly say.

I frowned at that, "What? What do you mean go aw-" I stopped seeing Nik sitting on the ground shirtless, leaning against he piano bench.

"Oh my god. What happened?" I asked and took a step closer.

Nik tensed up and I could feel fear coming off him, "I need more time. Stop hounding me!" He yelled.

"Hounding you? You're the one that's been hounding me. Constantly asking me how I've been feeling ever since the party." I argued.

"Allye. Is it really you?" I furrowed my brows at that. Nik pulled himself on top of the piano bench.

"Prove it to me." Nik demanded.

I put my hands up above my head, "How?" I asked.

"Something about me that only Allye would know." Nik clarified.

"Okay huh, you use to wish on a shooting star every night a thousand years ago to meet someone." Nik let out a sigh of relief.

"It is you. Silas attacked me. He stabbed me with the white oak stake. There's a-a piece stuck inside me." Nik said while breathing heavily and sweating.

"The white oak stake? How did he get a hold of that? Why would Silas even attack you?" I asked and walked over to Nik.

I made him turn his back to me as I sat down on the piano bench next to him. He had a gaping wound on his back. It looked like he had been picking at it for a while.

"Nik, I don't see anything." I said looking at the wound. I didn't see any pieces of wood stuck in the wound.

"It's there. I can feel the splinters moving towards my heart." Nik gritted through his teeth in pain.