𝟒𝟖| 𝐀 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

-HER-

Filth must have been the one to have seen us that night because the next morning when I showed up for breakfast, he looked a bit paler and stiff than usual. Usually, he served me a couple of glares along with the breakfast but this morning he was extremely pleasant with me despite our rivalry.

"You seem less hostile towards me this morning, I wonder if something happened last night. Did you see something?" I pressed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," He muttered before walking away but not before looking at me cautiously from the corner of his eyes. This morning he was avoiding me like a plague so I took it upon me to go into the kitchen and spend some extra time with him.

He couldn't have turned paler though I had to cut my interrogations short because it was already time for me to go into LEVEL 1 and begin that day's work. Mr Night was already waiting there for me with enough work to keep me busy until sunset. Even though I had been working under him for a while now, it never failed to surprise me how businesslike and demanding he could sound while he was down here.

Last night it seemed like we were getting somewhere but this morning as he talked to me, he sounded like a strict employer, who wanted to squeeze every drop of work out of their employees. Nonetheless, as long as the money was involved in the situation, I was ready to do anything.

This was just the starting. As the days passed by, the work increased even more and I started to see him less and less. My lessons became irregular. I was still unable to read the books and it frustrated me every time I picked them up.

Whenever he would return, it would be with more work. I could tell that he was busy and his urgency suggested that it was something very important. I saw newer things every time he returned. He got more and more specific with the things he taught me to do. There was something deep down inside me, telling me that he was preparing me for something. Something specific and even more dangerous than what happened that gambling night.

Thinking of which, that gem still hung down my neck. I would have to take it off from time to time because it would often heat up so much that I was afraid it would scorch my skin. I thought of asking him more about the gem multiple times but whenever we met, he was too busy to be bothered. Though I would still feel the tension and the intensity of his dark eyes whenever he laid them upon me, reminding me of the couple of times when we had kissed.

It was the starting of the sixth month since he had kidnapped me when the winter finally rolled in. With that, the workload grew even more. Now, I had even less time to think of my aunt and bully Filth. I hardly even saw Filth. He was the busiest of all.

When Mr Night returned to the house the next time, I convinced him to let me go to the city to get my money and buy some clothes for the winter. He was reluctant at first but still, a trip was arranged.

The three of us were going to go to the city this time.

Together.

I don't know why but something about this didn't feel right but again, I was going to have three of the cheques converted into money and spend them on whatever I liked. I couldn't have been bothered about anything else after that.

As it had been planned, one chilly winter evening I found myself sitting face to face with Mr Night in the carriage as Filth drove us to the city. It was quiet all the while. I watched Romulus like a hawk as he immersed himself in what looked like letters that were written in Hecdinian. He looked grim as he read the letters.

There was something about this particular evening that had my alarms ringing for some reason. I tried to talk to him but he remained unresponsive so I busied myself by staring out of the window, watching the trees being left behind us.

When we finally reached the city, first, I was dropped at the bank alone before Filth drove towards those big business offices. I found it somewhat off how the two of them left me alone, unlike the last time. I didn't think too much about it at that time and walked into the bank to get my money.

The two of them were still nowhere to be seen when I walked out of the bank with my pockets heavy. Deciding to not wait too much for them, I walked myself towards the shops while breathing in the evening air filled with smoke. I felt so free at first but that feeling didn't last for long. I felt a bit anxious around people. That odd feeling that I had was slowly intensifying.

Again, I tried not to think too much about it as I found a shop for ladies' garments and took shelter there for a while. It had gotten a bit darker when I finally walked out of there with my purchases. I almost run into a figure on my way out. I was about to apologise until a familiar voice spoke above me.

"Are you done?" Mr Night asked. I didn't miss the urgency in his voice. I nodded. He tugged his sleeve back slightly to check the time before looking around.

"Where's Filth?" I couldn't help but ask when he stopped a cabbie and told me to get in.

"He'll be away for a while," He replied curtly, helping me in.

"So, are we going home?" I asked him. This made him stop briefly and look at me with a strange look on his face.

"To the docks," Mr Night responded before the driver cracked the whip.

_

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up the complete book on Patreon. Read the next three chapters on Inkitt for Free. The links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading ♥︎