Part 5: The Adventure Begins

I woke to the sound of several noises all happening at once.

A recognizable voice was calling my name from afar, flapping wings pushing into the air, sirens wailing in the distance, the fire crackling . . .

Fire!

I jumped to my feet in a flash as a branch from an oak tree snapped off and fell to the ground, joining others that fell not long ago. The tree was scorching black. Fire so hot it burned blue climbed the limbs, spreading to other nearby limbs of other trees.

A loud noise drew my gaze to the sky where Syrax was flying in circles high above. Suddenly, she folded in her wings and dove towards the ground at an incredible speed. It looked as though she would crash, but at the last second, she opened her wings and landed on the roof next to me.

"Find your brother, fast! We need to get out of here before those sirens get closer."

The sirens were undoubtedly the firetrucks and police vehicles on their way. The ashy smoke from the fire could be seen for miles. The whole front lawn was ablaze and slowly getting closer to the house. I raced towards the window and into the house.

"Jake! Jake, where are you?"

"In here!" His voice came from my bedroom where he was stuffing random objects and possessions of mine into a backpack. "As soon as they see Syrax, the questions are never going to end. The best thing to do is get out of here as quickly as possible."

"What about the house? The fire could reach it before the firemen do."

"We can worry about everything else later. Right now, I need to protect you." He threw the backpack to me and pulled his own over his shoulder. "Let's go. Syrax said she would meet us on the roof."

I took a deep, shaky breath. Everything had changed in a second. The fire was spreading rapidly and I may never see the house again. My feet scrambled to my pillow and my hand grabbed what was hidden underneath. It was a diamond-shaped, blue locket that my mother gave me right before she died. It was something I could not part with. My hands shook as they hurriedly clasped it around my neck and rushed to the attic. My adrenaline raced as we climbed out onto the roof maybe for the last time.

Syrax was waiting for us. She lowered her body closer to the ground. "Climb on."

"On your back?" I asked, shocked.

"There is no time to hesitate now. Get on."

We did not argue further. There was no point. The police cars were pulling into the driveway. The men and women got out of the vehicles with disbelief written on their faces, maybe even fear. Many of them broke down the door and rushed into the house to find their way to the attic, while others stood staring at Syrax.

I broke my eyes away from them and climbed on Syrax's back, her rough scales digging into my skin. Jack jumped on behind me, securing his arms around my waist so neither of us will fall off.

We were in the air in a split second, my grip on the dragon's scales tightened. I glanced down at the people below who looked on in bewilderment. "What's going to happen now? They all saw you and are undoubtedly going to tell others."

She was silent for a moment, deep in thought. Then her voice filled the silence as she said the words that I would never forget. "The only place we can go now; to the lair of the dragons. It is time to go home."

Although it was light outside, I did not doubt that she could still see the stars and use the map the purple dragon gave her. Nevertheless, dread, fear, worry, and anxiety still made my heart race.

Jake gave a comforting squeeze. He was certainly feeling the same emotions.

I twisted around to see his face. "No matter what happens, we will always have each other. Remember that will never change. You are my home and that is all I need now," I paused, reflecting on the wise word my father said to me when I rode my bike for the first time. "Dad was right, failures don't define who I am. Only I define myself. And it's time I start showing it."

Jake pumped his fist in the air. "Bring on the adventure!"