chapter nine

Yesterday had been the best day ever for (Y/N) in a long time. After what Micheal had said to her, the (H/C)-ette felt as light as a feather and as strong as an ox. She could take on the whole world with no fears at all! Her spirits had been heightened tenfold, and it'd take a few days for her to ride down her high. She glided across the polished floors, wiping down the tables with a beat in her step, and a large grin on her lips. William had seen her earlier and, shockingly, praised her for upholding company values. Although that wasn't really what she was doing, she accepted it nonetheless: two birds, one stone.

"Ah–Ah, (Y/N)!" Called a familiar voice – Henry. He waved her over with a shaky hand and she complied, leaving her rag on the table. Hopefully a family wouldn't choose to sit at it right at this moment.

"What's up, Henry?" The waitress asked, her tone reflecting just how uplifted she was, and how great she was feeling.

Henry patted his pockets, eyebrows knitting and patting them again. He produced a white envelope from inside his blazer, not sealed from the top, but too thick to be a letter or notice of some sort.

"He–Here." He nervously handed the envelope to (Y/N), who cautiously took it, but didn't check its contents immediately. She gave the brunette an expecting look, waiting for him to tell her what was inside.

"O–Oh!" He gasped, fidgeting with his bony fingers and silver ring, eyes darting from the envelope, to its recipient, back and forth. "It's–It's, err, your paycheck! It's, um... payday is usu–usually Sunday, but I, uh, ahaha, I felt guilty for... not–not giving you a place at–at my own, err, my wife and I's home. Um, I al–also wasn't aware if–if–if William was, uh, paying for your expenses or... stuff. I–I don't know, it's been, um, how long has it been... ah! Four, five-ish days? I just, just, err... yeah... so–so early paycheck!"

If humanely possible, (Y/N)'s grin widened even further. She was so overjoyed, she could fly! Henry, in his awkwardness, fled the scene as soon as he'd served his purpose. That gave the woman a chance to do her silly little victory dance. She was so happy! She had a bittersweet thought that, after all her boss had done and said that made her bright with glee, she'd feel a pang of guilt when it came to killing him... but those saddening emotions could bog off! Right now, she was over the moon, counting her dollars repeatedly, as if she'd have more than the last time. With money came responsibility and... oh, wait a moment.

(Y/N) had received an early salary because Henry thought William wasn't covering her expenses. But, as the latter had never asked her to pay the price before, she could only assume he was paying for all the extras. Maybe, in his British chivalry or whatever, he felt too humiliated to ask her for money – said chivalry highly contrasting with his teasing nature, but that's besides the point. She'd probably have to pay rent, at least, right? All those delights at his house couldn't have just been for free... yeah, she was set on repaying her unspoken debt, trudging to his office in slight defeat.

Bursting into the room, the employee laughed at her employer's gasp, and the pen that fell out of his hands. He sternly reminded her about the politeness of knocking and she nodded in agreement, knowing full well she'd never actually adhere to what he says. He glanced from her to the chair opposite to him, gesturing for her to sit down. Taking the seat, she uncomfortably squirmed, looking behind her at the plastic backrest.

"Jeez... your one is a lot more comfortable." She remembered yesterday, and how cozy the man's swivel chair was.

"I don't believe an aspiring businessman of outstanding intellect and his measly workers should share the same luxuries, love."

"... are you calling me measly!?"

"Perhaps." William breathed out in amusement, watching her with softer eyes. "Anyways, what do I owe you the pleasure, darling? I've got lawsuits to put in the shredder."