Chapter 3

Lícia left the cottage early the next morning. She had to go to the weekly market, but later wanted togo back into the forest. At the market she got greeted friendly. Her smile filled the place with a peaceful harmony and the villagers seemed to be going on with their day with a calm presence. Lícia bought the ingredients she had to bring back to her mother. On the other side of the marketplace she sold her herbs. It was a busy morning and her pickings were a popular buy. Soon there were none left and she had enough time to go to her beloved forest. When she was about to leave someone blocked her path. It was the sturdy, wickedly handsome Pierre. The woman felt intimidated by him. When she was around him, she wanted to flee. Her usually soft smile turned stone cold and the light inside her brown eyes faded. Darkness entered the marketplace. Shadows follow Pierre, that Lícia cannot see but knows their there. "Hello sweetheart. Have you picked those stupid herbs in the depth of that damned forest?", his hoarse voice asked her. "That is none of your concern. Now let me move along.", Lícia made her way past his hungry and deadly gaze. 

"One day I will have her in my claws and she will be mine and mine alone.", he said under his breath so nobody could hear him. The woman disappeared in the cheerful crowd. 

The only place Lícia knew she was safe from him  was under the thick green trees in the woodlands.