Protect Them

Chapter 9

Ashley's POV

"Then you better hope to hell that you're truly alone," Alesa's words are on repeat in my head. Everytime I try to close my eyes, flashbacks with her words play a mini horror movie in front of me.

I look up at the alarm clock on my nightstand for the 9th time tonight.

1:57 am

I breathe out heavily and look over at Mitch, sound asleep, his back turned to me. He turns and lays normally, and he's trapped in a deep slumber.

I lift my back from the mattress and let my feet touch the brittle cold floor.

I get up from the bed and walk out of the bedroom.

I walk slowly down the hallways and I walk into the living room.

The lamp was turned on.

I turned that off before I went to bed, I thought.

I just simply went over and turned it off again.

The dining room chair pulled out.

On it's own.

I hear a knock on the front door.

I turn to the bedroom and Mitch is still asleep.

He tried these earplugs to silence the bad thoughts in his head, and they silence everything around him.

The living room door is pounding.

I step back into the kitchen and look at the knifes on display inside their container.

I pull one from its slot. The sharpest one. And the one with the longest blade.

The door stops pounding.

The handle jiggles. And jiggles,

until I hear the lock unlock.

The door handle slowly moves and the door opens. I throw myself down to the floor behind the counter.

I hold the knife in front of my chest, the blade pointing to the ceiling.

The door creeks open and I hitch a fatal breath. And perhaps the last one I'll ever take.

Footsteps. I hear.

Slowly move across the threshold and into the living room.

I hold back the sudden urge to breakdown, considering, I have no idea who has entered my apartment.

My heart is like a drum in my chest, I'm surprised they can't hear it.

The footsteps start to

fade.

I instantly think of Mitch.

I need to defend him with my life. I run my finger over the dull part of the knife and get up as stealthily as I can.

I tip toe from the main room and I see a dark, shady figure in front of the door to the bedroom.

They walk in and I follow him.

He pulls out a knife of his own and before I can drive mine into their back, he kicks me down to the floor without looking behind him and I fall to the ground fast.

He turns around and I'm looking at the face of Ryan.

"It's about time you try to fight back feisty pants," He says. He plucks out the knife from my hand and I take a step back.