3 - dancing with a stranger

tw;; slight horror elements, implied panic attack, please stay safe and skip to the author's note if you need to sit this one out! 💕

.: {☁️} :.

where the fuck am i?

you slowly made your way around the ballroom, only growing more confused with every step you took. the shiny tiled flooring echoed your footsteps around the space, making the area feel much more eery. you moved to tug at your collar, quickly stopping yourself when you remembered that you weren't wearing your normal clothes. you looked down at your garments, trying to piece together just what you were wearing.

you wore a yellow-tinged white blouse that bunched around your mid-forearm, tucked into a pair of faded khaki trousers. tall dark brown boots that reached your mid-shin laced around your feet, with the cuffs of your pant legs tucked into the shoe. altogether with a pale expensive-looking yellow blazer slung over your left shoulder, it's matching gold chain looped over your chest, and a tight brown corset pinching at your abdomen. you had to admit... you looked kinda hot, but who's clothes were these? and why were you wearing them?

"hello?!"

you quickly jolted out of your thoughts at the sudden voice, whipping your head around in confusion. oh god, what was happening now!? the voice continued to call out, with you idiotically looking around for its source, until you began to hear the tapping of shoes near you. you whipped your head around towards the sound so quickly you'd gotten a bit of whiplash, and immediately got lost for words at the sight.

this person, who looked to be a teenage boy around your age, was stood there dumbfounded. they wore a blouse similar to yours but more yellow-ish, faded gray-brown pants that were untucked, steel-tipped boots that looked smaller than yours, and a faded dark green blazer that they were wearing on their body rather than draped across it. they also had some things you didn't; such as a ruffled colonial-looking bolo tie with a jade clasp, and a matching colombina-styled* masquerade mask.

their blue-green eyes widened at the sight of you, quickly looking you up and down. "um... hello..?" they offered, raising a pale wand to wave awkwardly. you blinked back at them, looking around quickly before waving back. "uhhh.. do you know where we are.?" you asked, entertaining the dream-made stranger. your mind was pretty crazy to come up with something like this..... then again you hadn't slept in a while...

"i don't... think so? it looks like a ballroom from some american princess movie.." they began to look up at the room awe-struck. you took note of their phrasing, wondering why your mind had gone through the trouble of making this dream person a non-american (not that you minded, but you didn't think it'd matter). you looked up at the ceiling to notice a bronze-tinted reflection looking back at you. had this room always had that type of ceiling? you squinted your eyes a bit, noticing how you seemed to be wearing a mask as well.... perhaps a volto*?

you looked back at the stranger, opening your mouth to inquiry them something, but were quickly interrupted by a sharp violin. both you looked around in startled confusion, unable to find the source of the noise, before the symphony began. wonderous piano and cello and flute and all kinds of instruments flowed into the room, breaking it of it's creepy aura and filling it with one of joy. you turned your head to the stranger as you noticed movement, they were joyfully listening with their fingers flinching with some of the piano notes. they looked so happy.

the stranger took note of your sudden stare, turning towards you with a grin. "well, a wonderful song like this shouldn't be wasted! we should dance, odd stranger!" they beamed as they spoke, offering you their hand as the music continued to play on. you looked down hesitantly, wondering why this dream felt so weird and where you had heard this song!?

screw it. you took their hand, allowing them to pull you closer before spinning around into an awkward waltz. you kept stepping on each other's feet and bumping your chests, but you felt so happy as you spun with them. you giggled with the stranger to the beautiful music, your hands joined together at shoulder-height with their other hand loosely wrapped on your waist. you looked up at their eyes in between laughs, noting how their eyes crinkled when they laughed and how the lights glistened upon their mask. this has to be the best-

"this is the best dream i've ever had!"

they exclaimed suddenly, their eyes shut with a big smile. you quickly halted, processing what they'd just said. the stranger stopped once they noticed your halted movement, looking down at you in confusion. "uhh.. stranger?" they asked, the music slowly fading away into the background. "this isn't your dream, it's mine..." you looked back up at them with slight fear, and their face lost all the joy it had had previously.

"wh-what?"

suddenly, you felt something crash around the two of you. the stranger gasped in shock, looking over at you as you both began to fall into darkness.

.: {🌻} :.

you woke with a start, jolting up with blood roaring in your ears. sweat was pouring from every inch of your skin, hair stuck on your cheeks uncomfortably as you heaved in as much air as you could. you quickly flung the comforter off yourself, looking down to see that you were dressed in the clothes you'd gone out in yesterday. it was a dream. everything was a dream... the music, the outfits, that person....

"....y/n..?"

you flinched at the sudden sound, looking up to see newt standing at your open door, holding two to-go cups and pastry bag with a pale and worried look on their face. you blinked, feeling your lip quiver slightly at his expression. he quickly set the items down on your desk and leapt onto the bed next to you, offering you a hug that (to your surprise) accepted.

the two of you held onto eachother for a while like that, but newt didn't seem to care that your sticky sweat was getting onto their leather jacket. after a long hug session, you pulled away and began to tell the tale of last night.

.: {🌻} :.

a/n  [ stop here if you skipped! ]
woooo it's been awhile
hello hi if u don't follow me/look at my message board, over the break i ended up getting into a car accident that left me bruised and in a looooot of pain and i took a break from writing.
i am better now though, so don't worry! but yeah that's basically why it took so long to get this out lmao
anyways i hope you enjoyed, here's the summary for those of you who skipped:

>> y/n wakes up in a glamorous ballroom seemingly alone and in fancy clothing. he hears someone calling out and finds that it's a stranger similarly dressed like him. they are confused with each other for a bit until they begin to hear pretty music play throughout the room. the stranger offers to dance, and with some hesitance y/n agrees. they spin and dance, awkwardly, but they're having a great time. the stranger says that this is the best dream they've ever had, and y/n gets confused and says that he thought this was his dream. they're both confused and the dream ends spookily. y/n wakes up in the real world erratic and terrified, and newt comforts them. <<

yeee
the glossary below will give you some basics about the * words in the chapter, but do be told that they do have meaning hehehe
anyways, thanks for reading! i hope you had a great day,, and don't forget to drink water 💕

glossary

colombina - a type of masquerade mask that is heavily decorated and colored, usually covers the wearer's eyes, cheeks, and a bit of their nose
volto - a type of masquerade mask that covers a lot of the face except for the nose and lips.