Chapter 5 || Mixed up

The rest of the week, everything's fine, nobody laughs at me or points me in the hallways and the boy who threw a chewing gum in my hair got detention for a whole week. Even my dad has not shouted or hit anyone in the past few days. I am now in my parents' bedroom watching a movie with my mom on the bed.

Normally, my dad doesn't allow me to go in his bedroom, but he's working and my mom wanted to spend the day with me so she allowed me to come in. We could have watched the movies in the living room, but the screen is bigger in my parents' bedroom. With my mom, we are doing a marathon of romantic movies and we have cried a lot. We are at our third movie and there is a lot of action going on, so it makes a lot of noise.

It's only when the bedroom door opens that we understand that we are in a lot of trouble. It's Saturday 2:15 PM, my father is supposed to be working. My father's face is red like if he was gonna explode and his fists are closed. My mom stops the movie as I get on my feet, but before we have the time to say anything, all the anger inside my dad comes out. He has been too calm in the past few days, I should have seen it coming.

"What are you fucking doing in my bedroom you bitch!?! How many times do I have to tell you not to go in there!?" He walks straight towards me so I take a couple of steps back before my back touches the wall.

"Frank, it's my fault, don't blame her..." My mom says trying to protect me. My father turns his head in her direction, rage in his eyes.

"No, it's my fault, I'm sorry I disobeyed you, I-" I say before I'm cut off by my dad.

"Shut up!! Both of you!" He raises a finger in my direction and he continues to speak. "Now, get the fuck out of my room!"

    I practically run to get out of my parents' bedroom, followed by my dad. I'm right in front of the stairs when he grabs me harshly by my arm and he shakes me to scare me.

"I don't ever wanna see you in my room again, is that clear y/n!?" He doesn't even wait for my answer before he releases me.

    He lets go of his grip on my arm, but he pushes me at the same time, probably not knowing there is stairs behind me. I lose my balance and I try to hold on to anything, but I tumble down the stairs. The next thing I know is that I'm in a small room with beige painted walls and it's not smelling good.

I slowly open my eyes, trying to remember what happened and to know where I am. I'm alone in the room, there's a window on my left and a closed door on my right. I try to get up, but my head hurts and my left hand is in a bandage. My breath is speeding up, I don't know where I am, I don't know what happened and I don't know where is my mom. I really wanna see her, I need to see her. I hear the beeping noise of the machine next to me speeding up too and it doesn't help.

Suddenly, a woman in nursing clothes walks in the room and she tells me that I don't have any reason to be nervous and that she's gonna take good care of me. She briefly explains to me that because I tumbled down the stairs, my wrist is sprained and I have bruises all over my back. She also tells me that I might feel pain in my head because I hit it multiple times.

    I ask her if my mom is there, but she tells me that she hasn't been able to come visit me. I think I know why. My father doesn't let her. If it wasn't because of him, my mom would have been at my bedside all the time. When the nurse leaves, I look outside the window and I watch the trees shaken by the wind to distract myself. There's nothing I can do else than that.

After a couple of minutes, I'm beginning to feel my eyes grow heavy and I fall asleep. When I wake up, it's dark outside and a hand is on my shoulder. I turn my head to see who is next to me and I gasp when I see my mom sitting in a chair and looking at me. She has been crying, her eyes are wet and red. She hugs me carefully and I wrap my right arm around her waist.