001.

WINSTON.

So today is the arrival of my dad's new wife - my step mom - and her children. I heard she has two. Nice.

Being an only child, I don't honestly know how to feel about this. I'm used to the attention given only to me. So my heartbreak couldn't be expressed when mom died, although I'm closer with dad. Rather, I used to be. But when I learned of this new woman he replaced mom with, after two years of her death... we grew apart. I think it's too soon. Having to spend my life with mom for 15 years, I couldn't ever replace her. It'd be selfish to say that I didn't want dad to remarry. For him to replace mom.

I hear his car arriving. Brenda, our housemaid, rushes to the door to welcome them. I feel my heart dropping, yet anticipating.

I just stood by the stairs peeking from there. My sweaty hands absently grip against the railings.

The car doors open and close. My stomach churn. I start shaking my legs. New set of voices reaches my ears. Voices of some women and a guy, who says, "Let me take care of that."

My heart stops when dad appears by the door, carrying two luggages and behind him, a... beautiful woman. A Latina. I never met his new wife. But I never realized she'd be lovely. Simpler than mom but still beautiful. And being my mom's son, I'd say mom is still lovelier.

A younger girl appears next, she wanders her eyes around the house and it stops in my direction. I don't budge. Then another guy steps in whose eyes stop right at me. And I don't know how one can take one's breath but that's exactly what he did. Air escapes out of my lungs, also stealing my voice and perhaps my soul.

It's quick. No, a three second encounter yet... I hadn't recovered from it until that evening.

I stayed in my room. I didn't want to go see them. Maybe that guy, but no. I'm still hurt by this. I'm not ready. I don't care. Besides, my dad seems not to care to look for me either, when a knock on the door interrupts me.

I don't answer.

"Winston?" Comes Brenda's voice. "Your father's looking for you. Dinner's ready." She knocks again and calls my name.

"Coming!" I shout from my bed and she left.

Dragging my body up, I sigh. And make my way down.

They're already there, and happily talking. Is my presence still needed?

"Winston, son." Dad lifts his head up a bit to my direction.

"Hey." I take a hesitant step and slowly approach, avoiding to stare at anyone other than my father, who offers the empty seat on his left next to the guy, the breath stealer.

I stop momentarily, our gazes meeting again and with my head down, goes to sit next to him. I don't understand why my heart is beating fast knowing we're just a few inches away.

"So, Melissa, this is my only son, Winston. And Winston, she'd be your stepmom."

Melissa sends dad an embarrassed look, but I'm irked cause what does dad expect me to say?

I force a smile, though it ends up curt.

Of course, it displeases dad but he tries to hide it by keeping that smile on and introducing Melissa's children. I feel my breath catch in my throat when he gestures to the guy beside me.

"That's Montgomery, her eldest. And this is Estela, needless to say, the younger one."

Montgomery stuck in my ears. I turn to him and he looks at me. I smile making sure it won't show much of my nervousness. I rack my brain for a snide remark, only to think of nothing. Complete blankness. All it can think of is Montgomery. And how... regrettably, hot he is.

I haven't been able to sleep at night for the first time.

I can't have a crush on him!!! He's going to be my brother. No, he's practically my brother right now.

I cover my hands to my face. It's a wrong idea for my dad to marry Melissa. Totally wrong idea!

***

It's still basically all new to me to see people in our house.

I skipped the dining area, not wanting to deal with Melissa and her children. It seems like I'm going to take a late breakfast or just ask Brenda to bring food in my room.

My feet come to a stop, spotting Monty - yes, I started calling him that in my head since last night - standing by the swimming pool the next morning. And there goes my body again, feeling all jittery. I lick my lips and stride toward next to him, making my presence known.

Monty remains his eyes fixed at the pool like he just saw one. Then he mumbles, "Wow."

I don't say a word, only a half laugh. Like a smirk but not a smirk.

"So can you actually swim here?" Monty glances at me, throwing a hand over the chlorinated water.

I raise a brow, slightly amused. "Yeah. You can jump right in if you want."

He just stares back at the pool.

I take a step closer. "First time seeing a pool?"

He smirks. "No. First time having one."

The word he used is 'having'. I say he's quick to understand that he officially lives here and is part of the family.

"You don't like my mom," Monty says, no hesitation in his voice. And it doesn't sound like a question. I never take him to be this forward but I kinda like it.

"I don't don't like Melissa. I don't hate her. I just love my mom."

"Okay, that's fair."

Silence stretches between us, but not for long as he asks, "So, how do you take all of these? I mean, I heard you're an only child and we're gonna be brothers."

I stare at him. "It's... Everything's new to me. To see more people in the house." And I'm not sure if I'll ever see you as a brother.

"Do you... see me and Estela as your siblings?"

"Are you asking if I like you?" I pause. It's too late for me to realize what I just asked. But it's not like I meant 'like' as 'like', but 'like' that means 'acceptance.'

I don't know anymore. My heart speaks differently. It's drumming loud and quick.

"Hmm... maybe?" Monty says.

"Well, it still needs some getting used to. Perhaps, we should try and get to know each other better."

The corners of his lips curve up a little. "Sure."