Ch.2: The Accident

It had been a few weeks since the incident that had led Kat to being in the hospital. Things had been okay in town since then. She'd even connected with Walt as friends for right now. Now, she and Damon had settled everything, and with the dust settled, she'd been together with Damon, once again. As everyone knew that had ever been around the supernatural though, things only lasted so long before something horrible came up.

Katherine had been in the car with Walt's daughter, Cady, when an accident had happened, causing the car to get wrecked. She was sure that Cady was or would be okay, but she was pretty sure she couldn't say the same thing about herself. Then, as everything blurred, she was glad to know that at least Walt's daughter would be okay. She could see that she was starting to get up after getting herself out of the wreckage. They were on a long strip of roadway with nothing around though, and the vehicle was wrecked, so she knew that Cady was gonna have to leave to find help.

Sheriff Walt Longmire was driving in his Bronco down a long stretch of road, heading towards town. Everything had been going great for a while, which was a plus for a town like this. Apart from minor little criminal-like activities, nothing had really been happening lately. Not since Katherine and the vampire she'd turned as a vampire had come to town.

Suddenly, he noticed a wreck on the side of the road, so he braked quickly, noticing whose car it was. He also saw from a distance, Katherine in the road. He didn't see his daughter anywhere though, so that was a small relief to him, as he got out and rushed over to her.

"Katherine," he said, kneeling at her side. He could see that she was quite injured, but still somewhat awake, as she lay on her side. He then took his jacket off, using it to apply pressure to what looked to be the worse of her wounds. "Where's Cady?" he asked, hoping she could still tell him.

"Looking for help," she informed him, which was a relief, knowing that it sounded like Cady was okay.

"Alright, it's going to be okay," he stated, before gently picking her up and getting her into the passenger seat. Then, once he was back in his Bronco, he began to speed, heading for the hospital as quickly as he could, one hand where he had his jacket still. "Stay with me, Katherine," he pleaded.

As everything began to go black for her, she could feel the familiar feeling of a bed. She also could hear the sound of doctors, as well as feel what felt like probably a breathing mask. Then everything went black for her. She knew she was lucky to have been found by Walt. Next to Damon, she'd always known that if someone needed help that probably wouldn't make it waiting on an ambulance, you could always count on him to get you help quickly.

After he'd tracked down Cady and had made sure that she was going to be okay, which she was, Walt told Damon what had happened to Katherine. Then, when she was out of surgery, Walt sat on her bedside, hoping that she'd wake up soon.

A few weeks later, when Kat woke up from a coma, Walt was seated in a chair.

She gave a smile.

"You're still here," she commented.

"Of course," the sheriff replied.

She sat up in bed.

"Thanks for the save," she said with a smile.

"Anytime," he replied. He didn't have to ask how she felt, since it looked like she was going to be okay, so he got to his feet, leaving.

She watched him go. Then saw her once again love come in, once Walt had left to probably go back to work.

"I think you're the luckiest human I've ever known," Damon commented, before sitting on her bedside.

She gave a smile.

"You know me. I'm always a survivor, even when I don't feel like I am some days."

"If you want to get out of here, I can make that happen, you know," he stated.

"That would be great. Thanks," she replied. After all, they both hated hospitals. She knew that she couldn't avoid them as a human, though.

He rested a hand on hers that was on the bed.

"I'll be back then," he replied, getting up.

After she'd been discharged from the hospital with Damon's influence, they headed home to where they'd been living at in town. Then, after a while longer of living there, they decided to put down roots there. So, they decided to stay in town. Even though they both had some medical knowledge though, Kat decided to take the easiest and most helpful approach. She wasn't trying to follow her doppelganger's shoes, and she knew that Walt didn't have much of a department, so she became one of his deputies, helping out with anything he needed. So, they lived as happily a life as they could, not even thinking about going back to Mystic Falls.