Chapt 9

~Damien~

I ran away.

Before my mind could process what I was doing I'd already had the shirt in my mouth. I was frantic, unsure of what I was supposed to do next and since I couldn't do much else, I did what came to me naturally.

I bolted. Running away from him and ran as fast as my four legs could carry me. My heart was racing, my mind was spinning, but my wolf was howling in joy. Even though it hadn't been my original intention to do what I had done in the end, in the grand scheme of things, I think it went pretty well. Sure my mate was more afraid of me than anything else, but at least he hadn't tried to run away, which is usually a big step when it comes to werewolf human pairings and the human meeting there mates wolf for the first time. I'd heard a lot of stories of mates running away in terror at the mere sight of their mates wolf counterpart, so I think we were making good progress. Even if we hadn't actually made any progress to begin with.

My wolf had managed to coerce me into getting close to my mate as a wolf, and at first I had thought it was going to be the biggest mistake I could have made for the day. I was still worried that he might tell Leo about meeting me again but there wasn't any photo evidence to prove it so I could always deny it with every shred of my being. Sure the chances of me being able to lie to the alpha might be practically zero, but in the end it would definitely be worth it. Probably.

He'd told us we were beautiful!

I'd been stunned when he said it, but my wolf had been over joyed. Before I even processed what was happening our tail had started wagging like a dogs, a truly embarrassing situation for any respecting werewolf to find themselves in, but that seemed to have eased my mates worry a little so I guess it wasn't all that bad. Even now my wolf was still rolling around and howling in joy at being acknowledged my his mate...even if it wasn't intentionally done. I wasn't going to spoil it for him though, he'd be a lot easier to handle the happier he was.

Of course the nauseatingly sweet sent that was wafting from the shirt in our mouth may have also been the reason for his euphoria, but who was I to judge him? It had been a spur of the moment decision. After being called beautiful, we'd wanted to get closer to our mate but every time we got closer he kept trying to get farther away. After growling in agitation at him we'd managed to get what we wanted. We'd gotten right up next to him, felt the warmth of his body, seen the beads of sweat as they trickled down his brow, stared into his mesmerising eyes. For a while the urge to lick his face had been wriggled its way into the front of my mind, yet the scent of his fear was ever present, preventing me from truly doing anything that might cause him anymore stress.

I'd wanted to pull him to the ground and claim him right there on the forest floor. Roll all over him till he was covered in my scent and myself in his. To touch him, lick him, nuzzle him, and just drown in his scent. I wanted to make sure that everyone in our pack would know who he belonged to, and the war in my mind had been waging back and forth between leaving immediately before I did anything I'd later grow to regret or whether to just give in and claim him, consequences be damned.

I'd managed to hold myself back though. The fear that was washing off my mate in waves was enough to let me know that he might have had a heart attack if I pushed him any further. Besides if I did mix our scents there would be no way to hide what I'd been up to from the other wolves, and I really didn't need another beating today.

Yet to just leave him without leaving my scent all over him made me feel irritated. So I did the next best thing. I took his shirt and ran before he could do anything about it. If I couldn't claim him as mine right now, at least I could claim his shirt. The more I thought about it the more I realized how pathetic I was becoming. Having his shirt wouldn't change anything and at the end of the day just having his scent around me without being able to claim him would only make the coming week that much harder.