Chapter 8

Landon didn't want to wander far until Hope took a nap. Lizzie hit the beach immediately, but Landon was only planning to check out the close surroundings of the hotel. He kinda wanted to stay with Hope, but he was cramped in that car for days, he really needed to take a quick walk outside. He didn't expect Kaleb to walk up to him. Landon had no idea why he was there and how he found them. When Kaleb started to ask about Hope, they walked to a hidden area by the service entrance. Landon didn't want to make any scene as Kaleb was demanding to know what Hope was up to.

"You guys gave me two weeks. Not even a week had passed. You need to give me more time to work on her. She is so close to turning back her humanity. I'm getting through her. She'll give in soon." Landon tried his best to show Kaleb that he was still on their side, doing everything Josie had told him to do.

"You took off without a word and you should have notified us as soon as you found Hope. Josie started to worry about you... but I'm not a fool. I know what love makes us do. You would betray your friends for her, even if she is a vicious murderer."

"Look, we have the same goal, Kaleb. Just leave. Go back to Josie, tell her I'm right on track." Landon said, hoping Kaleb wouldn't mention the tree... but just as he was thinking about it, Kaleb started to question him.

"The night you left, there was a fire on school property. Do you know anything about it?" Kaleb asked curiously.

"No, I must have left before that. Is everyone all right?" Landon tried to fake worry.

"Sure... a tree burned down in the woods."

"Thank god it wasn't around the building." Landon smiled, but Kaleb had a pissed expression.

"That tree was important and it was protected with magic. You know who Josie and the others blamed as soon as they found that the tree was ruined?" Kaleb paused and Landon shrugged. "Me of course. Even Cleo was convinced I did it, there was no other explanation. I am the only one who has wings to fly above the barrier... and I could have burned that tree to the ground with breathing fire. But it wasn't me, Landon. I was thinking who would be capable of doing this besides a dragon and the answer was so obvious... a phoenix of course." Kaleb smirked at Landon as smoke started to come out of his nostrils. "Just admit, Landon." Kaleb started to get pissed and Landon knew he couldn't pretend anymore, he had to change tactics. He held up his two hands and started to speak calmly.

"Yes, it was me. But hear me out, Kaleb. You guys were ready to kill Hope. You know I cannot allow that. You understand, you'd do the same for Cleo."

"Hope is a mass murderer, Landon."

"She is changing. She is trying not to kill innocents."

"Then how do you think I found you? I just had to follow the bodies that led me here. Straight from New York, bodies piled up the way until down here. Started in a gas station, then in a motel, continued with a bunch of werewolves and then a dead truck driver was found without any blood in him. So no, I would definitely not protect Cleo if she would do this."

"Look, you won't need that weapon anyway. Hope won't kill anymore. I'll tell Josie myself when the two weeks expire." Landon still tried to talk calmly, but Kaleb seemed more and more agitated.

"I won't tell Josie anything. She doesn't even know I am here. I just needed the confirmation that you burned down the tree. They all think I am a traitor. Cleo broke up with me over this. You ruined my life, Landon Kirby. And I don't care if Hope will turn on her humanity or not, she'll be dead anyway. You're a fool to think that you destroyed the whole tree." Kaleb laughed frantically, then fire shot out of his mouth, right at Landon, but to his surprise Landon absorbed the fire without a single burn.