Chapter 9

You all thought I forgot, didn't you? Hahahaha. Credit to the artist of the pic!

"Yes, well now that our dinner plans have been made, we ought to hurry so we can get your shopping done, Harry. Mr. Griphook, may we visit Harry's trust vault please?" Petunia asked. 

"Why certainly, however I have an easier option for you. For the slight fee of ten Galleons-" 

"What are Galleons? Are they money?" Harry interrupted. Before he was answered he seemed to realize his rudeness. "Sorry for interrupting you, Mr. Griphook." 

"Hmph. Well, it's alright, I suppose. Yes, Galleons are money. Our monetary system uses bronze Knuts, silver Sickles, and golden Galleons. Twenty-nine Knuts to a Sickle, and seventeen Sickles to a Galleon." 

"If I may, sir, those are rather odd numbers to use. Why not use thirty and fifteen, or something else easy to remember?" Dudley asked politely. 

"Because at the time of the creation of this system, that was the ratio of how much raw gold, silver, and bronze were worth. Now, any other questions before I continue? No? Then, as I was saying, for ten Galleons I can give Mr. Potter-Evans a pouch that would allow him to simply state the amount of money needed and have it withdrawn directly from his trust vault. If he does this, he can also have the money converted into pounds, dollars, yen, or any other recognized form of currency, barring the barter system. Would you be interested in such a purchase?" 

"Yes, please!" Harry stated emphatically. Severus then cut in.

"However, I think the price of five Galleons is much more appropriate for such a device. Unless, of course, it comes with an anti-theft component?" 

Griphook gave what could be interpreted as a (frightening) smile. "Why, Professor Snape. Of course it has anti-theft measures. It will only respond to young Mr. Potter-Evans's voice, and cannot be taken from his person unless he personally removes it willfully. Will that convince you the price is deserved?"

Snape gave a smirk back and replied, "I think that should do, yes." 

"I have one more question, Mr. Griphook, sir. How many Galleons to a pound?" 

"Well, Mr. Potter-Evans, the answer varies. It is approximately five pounds to each Galleon, however it changes slightly based on a number of economic components, such as inflation. Will that do?" Harry nodded in response to Griphook's answer. "Then here," Griphook opened a drawer and removed a simple pouch from inside, sliding it over to Harry, "Give it a test run. Speak into the pouch 'ten Galleons'."

Harry did so, and although he'd expected it to work he was still slightly shocked when the money just appeared in the bag, adding only a slight weight.

"Wicked!" both boys whisper-shouted in unison. Petunia silently agreed.

"Well, I believe that is all our business for today taken care of then. Thank you for your time, Mr. Griphook, and I look forward to your message regarding the wills." 

"I am also waiting with anticipation," Severus said. 

"Quite so, Ms. Evans, Professor Snape. Quite so." 

"Goodbye, Mr. Griphook! Thanks for everything!" Harry said with the earnestness only a child could achieve.

"Yeah, thanks Mr. Griphook!" Dudley said in the same way.

"You are quite welcome. Good day to you all." With that, the quartet walked out of the office and out the front doors of Gringotts.

"Right then, it's about-" Petunia checked her watch, "-10:30. So, get your list out Harry and we can get most of your supplies before lunch at 1."