10. 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬

RILEY

RILEY

It was risky. But it was worth it.

Things didn't go anything like I'd planned it to. After she said yes, I wanted to continue talking to her through graffiti. But then she actually looked at me.

I couldn't believe she could really see me. It was so strange and it felt like a dream. But it had actually happened.

However, I didn't exactly enjoy lying to her throughout most of the conversation. I just couldn't bring myself to do something like that- how could I possibly do it?

"I haven't seen you around before," she had said, her large amber eyes gleaming with curiosity, "which school are you from?"

"I'm, um, homeschooled." I'd lied, trying to maintain what I hoped was a straight face.

"Ohh," She nodded slowly, "That explains it. So do you have any friends?"

"They're all in college, so it gets kind of lonely around here when they're not around." That was only a half lie- they were in university, not college. But it did get lonely.

We didn't get to talk for very long. She'd had a call, and worry shrouded her face, before she said goodbye and hurried away. Her last words to me before she left were, "I'll see you around, Riley", and it was in that moment that it had actually hit me that I'd literally just spoken to a living, breathing human being.

Which leads me to what I am doing now: Freaking out.

I'm also extremely confused as to how she can even see me. It feels almost too good to be true. The one person who I've observed (or in some ways stalked) for ages just happens to be the one who can see me. Is it just pure luck?

If only being a ghost came with a handbook or something. I'm sick and tired of being confused all the time.

But...it was so nice talking to her. She didn't know anything about me. She wasn't afraid, because she didn't know what I was. It felt so good. To be able to talk to someone like that.

Maybe it's best she just didn't know.