12. 𝐀 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐑𝐢𝐬𝐤

RILEY

 RILEY

I want to see her.

But it's too risky.

But I've made a friend.

But she'll find out. And then she'll run away.

And what if she doesn't? What if she stays? What if she doesn't care if I'm dead?

That's impossible.

I'm in the afterlife among ghosts and spirits, and I'm in a world where I can't be by the side of the two people I love most. Nothing's impossible anymore.

Valerie. Maybe there's a reason I met her. Maybe it's a sign that there is really some hope left for me.

Come on, Riley, don't get ahead of yourself. You only met her a day ago.

I let out an exasperated sigh, trying to repress the conflicted thoughts. I told myself I'd just see how things turned out. But now overthinking has gotten in the way. I stand up from the park bench, and jump over the railings. I don't know what I'm doing, but something tells me I'm going to do the stupid act of actually going to look for her. Sitting here alone any longer is going to drive me up the wall.

I have no idea where she lives, but I do know she passes Marjorie's Grocer's store every day. I start in that direction, passing the graffitied walls and post office, feeling my spirits lifting slightly. I slow down as I approach the store, since I spot Marjorie sweeping the front porch.

She's got an earphone plugged into one ear, and is humming a tune, as she cleans. My legs slow to a halt, when I'm right in front of her. She's looked exactly the same since I've known her, and every teen in this neighbourhood has pretty much known Marjorie since nursery years. She never seems to age. She was always that neighbourhood lady that would be the girls' aspirations, and the younger straight boys' first older crush.

She had always been so nice to me. I would do anything to go back just for one day to thank her for all the favours, all the free treats, all the school advice she gave me and my friends. It makes me sad every time I pass her store, but it's very rare that I allow the pain to resurface in my mind.

Marjorie was the last person I spoke to before I died.

She probably doesn't remember. But I remember crystal clear. The day before that morning I got in the accident, I'd gone to pick up a bunch of stuff from her store, since me and my friends were going to do an all night Netflix and chill for the weekend.

"That's a lot of sugar you got in there, Riley." Marjorie chuckled as she scanned the snacks."You know, I've never seen you buy anything healthy from this shop." Marjorie continued.

I shrug, as I rummage for the card in my wallet. I couldn't find it. "Um..." I looked up at her, as she waited for me expectantly. "Could you be an amazing person today?"