Elijah - An Evening Out

It took some coaxing, even a little friendly manipulation, but I managed to convince Niklaus to agree to my first evening out with Hayley.

"For both our sakes brother, it's called a date! We're living in the 21st century, you of all people shouldn't be ignorant of these terms," Klaus told me, irritated but also amused at the same time.

"It should be no concern of yours brother how I identify with our...situation. I only thank you for your consent. Although I shouldn't have bothered with it in the first place," I answered defiantly. We were in the outskirts of New Orleans, what happened the other night was no accident. Another threat threatening our family's peace, I thought feeling the exhaustion. I never imagined, in my thousands of years existing as a vampire, that I could ever view danger as a tiring occurence. We were used to the perils of being a supernatural creature, but why do I feel the weight of our existence now?

"I am only the father of the child which she is the mother to, may I remind you the risks involved with this date you're planning to have with her? Why not take her out for dinner, go to the jazz clubs and listen to some music? Yes Elijah, be thankful that I agreed to the audacity of your plans!" Klaus shifted from one place to another. I was preoccupied with our current predicament but I wasn't going to allow my brother to disrupt my mood.

"Just be careful brother, as much as it discomforts me to have to worry about the two of you, I have other things to take care of," Niklaus said before disappearing.

I was tired because after a much deserved period, whenever we tried to move forward with our lives, danger would always follow. It's a curse we can never escape, unfortunately, no matter how hard we try to make things right.

But we are moving forward nonetheless. As a family.

***

"What's on your mind? You've been quiet...I'd say you were your usual brooding self but, you're clealry bothered with something," Hayley said snapping me out of my thoughts. Our everning was progressing smoothly, her head was resting on my shoulder. The wind hit her hair just long enough for strands of her hair to fall gently on her eyes. I leaned over and kissed both.

"Are you happy tonight?" I asked. She nodded her head.

"Of course, I wouldn't have agreed to coming at all if I had doubts. Seriously, what is bothering you?" her voice sounded concerned and she sat up. She looked absolutely ravishing under the moonlight, her face was fierce and I could easily tell whenever she was upset or ready for battle.

"I am fine Hayley, this moment right here...forgive me, it just seems..."

"Too good to be true?" She finished my sentence for me. She took my hands in hers.

"Look Elijah, I get it. You're worried about what happened, I am too, but the pack is training hard for any possible danger. The vampires are on high alert for any suspicious activity. Even the witches, thanks to Davina, are keeping a watchful eye of the city. You have got to relax. I am here for you...but you have to be honest with me," she was a strong woman but it hurt me to see her ask for my honesty. We were once separated by a vow, sacred and honored, but as circumstances have proved otherwise, I was fortunate enough to have Hayley at my side now. A second chance that I intend to never waste.

"We're past that point of secrets or we can't be together because we want what's best for each other. We are at our best because we're with each other," she emphasized. I cradled her cheek and kissed her softly in the lips.

"I love you Hayley. If I haven't said it enough..because I was a coward for holding it back before. I love you," I confessed. We've told each other how we felt before, more than the occasional moments, but this was the first time that I told it to her because the timing was appropriate. She seemed surprised by my admission, her eyes lit up, and her lips curved into a soft smile.

Hayley had a way with her emotions; she could be angry, determined, or the way her mouth twitches when a confrontation is brewing in the midst but, when she is genuinely happy, the sincerity of her expression was undeniable. She was powerful not because of her hybrid abilities or fearlessness, no, she commanded a presence because of her love for others.

"I love you too Elijah," she spoke the words carefully, her gaze never leaving mine.

It was indeed a perfect first date.