Ch. 42

Yes, hi, I'm back. I'm on winter break from school and taking a break from work, so hopefully, I'll be able to get a lot of writing done. So very sorry for the wait and thank you to everybody who stuck around. And without further ado...

Serden swept through the door and slammed it closed. Arysa's eyes snapped up from her book and her fingers curled tighter around the page.

His burning eyes washed over her, and he let out a heavy breath. He ran his fingers through his inky locks and sank down on the armchair across from her.

"What happened?" Arysa asked tentatively.

He shook his head. "The people aren't taking well to the rations decree. There's been riots."

Arysa's stomach pinched.

"Riots?" She breathed.

Serden nodded.

Arysa snapped the book closed and tossed it on the table. She got to her feet.

"I have to talk to them. They'll listen to me. They're not stupid. They have to understand this is the only way."

Serden frowned. "It's too dangerous. The city guard is managing it."

"No!" Arysa hissed. "That will only fuel their anger. We have to reach them. Give them a show of faith."

Serden scoffed. "You have a lot of faith in these commoners. They're hungry and they're angry. They feel they're being treated unfairly and not even you can get through to them now."

"I have to try." Arysa bit out. "Unchain me, Serden."

He laughed. "No."

"Are you serious? My city needs me. My people need me. You can't keep me from doing my job, my duty."

"I can and I will." He snapped.

"Do you want this city to go up in smoke?" Arysa snarled.

He shook his head. "You're wrong this time, Arysa. You can't just talk people in rationality. That's not how it works."

"Maybe you can't if you're a self-absorbed, homocidal traitor. Me, however, these people trust. They know me. They know I'd only do what's best for them."

Serden scoffed. "Clearly, they don't think that anymore, not after this rations decree you sent out."

"Don't act as if I'm the only one to blame for this." Arysa hissed. "You are as much to blame. You supported me. The council supported me. We all know it was the right decision."

"The people don't."

Arysa crossed the bedroom towards him but he stepped back just out of her reach. Her chains clanked against the bedpost.

"Don't act so high and mighty, coward."

He crossed his arms. "Should I leave you to calm down and come to your senses?"

Arysa sneered. "Unchain me, Serden. Now."

"Never going to happen."

"Then watch this kingdom burn."

Serden turned and left.

-

It wasn't long before the door clicked open and Velicity slipped inside. She lowered her cowl from her head and tugged a letter from her waistband. Arysa took it and peeled it open and there was a grim set to her lips as she read the contents. When she finished, she nodded and handed the letter back.