Chapter Twenty One: It's Pretty Obvious

After hours of driving, night fell. Harley was tired and getting grumpy. She slumped against me, dropping her forehead onto my back. I distracted her by telling her to look up motels on her phone. Grudgingly, she did. I was pretty exhausted too. We pulled into the poorly lit parking lot of the motel, and dragged ourselves off. I had sat so long my legs felt like jelly. I told Harley to wait outside while I got a room. She would draw way too much attention. I grabbed the money I kept in a compartment on my motorcycle, and headed inside.

The desk woman looked surprised to see me. Which was understandable, because the place looked completely dead. She stood up straighter, and eyed me suspiciously. I did look absurd in my ripped up clothes. She didn't ask questions though. She just gave me a room.

Outside Harley was waiting. She looked exhausted. I pulled her towards our room. It was pretty basic. One bed, a bathroom and a tv. I threw my keys on the TV stand. I saw myself in the mirror across the room. I almost laughed. I had smudged black stuff all over my face. Don't even get started on my hair. It was a mess. My beloved t-shirt was ripped in several places. All in all, I was a disaster.

Harley was still wearing her prison outfit. Luckily, I had been allowed to wear my normal clothes due to my request. I threw off my jacket and shoes, and found the closet with extra blankets. I grabbed all of them, and piled them on the floor to sleep on.

"What are you doing?" Harley asked curiously, as she took off her orange prison jacket. She wore plain white clothes under it.

"You can have the bed. I'll take the floor." I shrugged,

"Don't be silly. We can share a bed." Harley laughed,

I tensed, "No it's ok. Really."

"Geez do I smell or something?" Harley seemed annoyed,

"You smell fine." I said, "It's just better this way. Trust me."

"Are you still mad at me because of that argument?" Harley demanded,

"No, that's- I'm over that. I just don't think we should share a bed, that's all." I said,

"Why are you being so weird?" She said loudly,

I snapped, throwing my pillow down, "I'M GAY HARLEY."

She laughed, "DUH."

I stopped, "What?"

"You think I didn't know that?" She continued laughing,

"But-but you-I-" I stuttered,

This only caused her to laugh harder, "It's pretty obvious. I saw how you looked at other women in the club."

I sighed, "And it doesn't bother you?"

She shook her head, "I'm gay too."
I froze, "But Joker-"

She rolled her eyes, "Bisexuality exists."

"Oh." I said stupidly.

"So yeah now that that's out of the way, come get in bed." She patted the bed,

"You sure?" I said hesitantly,

"Nothing gay is going to happen. I promise." She giggled, "Unless you want it to."

She winked and my stomach flipped. I ignored that last comment and crawled into bed next to her. She turned out the light and rolled over. I stared up at the ceiling, processing. I was exhausted, but I was having trouble sleeping.

"Do you not remember me trying to set you up with that one chick?" Harley chuckled in the dark.

I smiled, "I thought that was a joke."

"Literally any time we were at Joker's club I would introduce you to some girl." Harley said,

"I never caught on." I laughed,

"God you're so dense." Harley joked,

"I had no idea you were bi." I said,

"Yep." Harley said, popping the p, "I've only ever had one girlfriend though."

"What happened to her?" I said,

"She set my clothes on fire." Harley said,

"Oh my god."

"And that was before I was Harley Quinn." She said,

"Geez."

"To be fair, I have very poor taste." She added, "The people I date tend to be a little..."

"Psychotic?" I said, "Full of homicidal tendencies?"

"Yeah." She sighed,

"Total pieces of shit?" I continued,

"Ok you've made your point." Harley stopped me,

I chuckled, "Maybe you just need to figure yourself out. Go out on your own and tell the world who Harley Quinn is."

Harley was quiet for a moment, "You know, I think you were right about Joker."
"Really?" I looked at her. Her face was barely illuminated by the street lights shining through the curtains.

"After the crash, I started getting more flashbacks." She admitted, "He pushed me out a window once."

I sat up, "What?"

"He told me it was my fault. I captured Batman on my own. I was going to kill him. But then, Joker got angry. He wanted to be the one to kill Batman. I was just trying to show him how much I loved him. When he gets mad he just... loses it. And yeah, he pushed me. I fell three stories. I had to go to the hospital."

"Oh Harley." I said sadly,

"It was my fault." She said, "I didn't get the joke."

"Harley no." I said,

"I don't want to talk about it anymore." She rolled over and fell asleep almost instantly.

I couldn't sleep. I stared at the ceiling. By morning, I had made a decision. 

Author's Note: Guess who's gay? YOU!!! *Gasps*

Also important question, how would you feel if I wrote a chapter from Harley's perspective? Please answer so I can get your input :)