chapter 1.

Lilian

I tap my pencil against the blank sketchbook pages, trying to get my thoughts together for this second art project I haven't prepared for. I bite the inside of my cheek, scribbling around random lines, and I hear the timer stop. 

"Now, if you are done with your sketches you can go ahead and get the media you'll be using, anybody who needs help, raise your hands" 

I raise my hand and a boy walks up to the teacher, whispering something to her, and she nods, and he walks out. I've seen him around since junior year, we had painting class together, and he always had an attitude with everybody and that always ruined my mood. He walks pass by, and I throw a quick glance at him. He wasn't ugly, he just had a mean face that made me not want to talk to him. 

"Lilian" Ms. Barns says, walking towards me. 

"Yes, I don't know how I want to start this project"

"Well, what is your whole portfolio about?"

"Eating disorders" 

"Alright, well, you already did a project about a girl looking at herself in the mirror... how about you do a guy struggling?"

"Oh that's actually a good idea, not many guys speak up about that, what if I do like a guy eating and there's like a shadow in the back? the shadow represent the eating disorder?" I reply.

She smiles at me and nods.

"You got this, you just need some small suggestions to get your brain working" she says and walks to the girl behind me to help her.

I grab my pencils and chalk and hop off my seat to grab some paper. As I walk to the closet to grab the paper, the guy who had left comes back, putting the hall pass back at its place. He looks over at me and I immediately turn away to avoid his look and I gulp. I shouldn't be nervous, but the way he stares at people, in an observant way, makes me nervous. 

I head inside the closet, opening the cabinets to find the white paper, and I pull out the largest there is to make my project with. I walk out and head to my desk, trying to figure out where I want everything to be on my paper. 

"Hey, do you think I could borrow your white gel pen to add these sparkles?" my friend, Adrianna, says, getting up from her seat. 

I nod and I hand her my pen. I gently sketch out a very light sketch of the boy on my paper, and I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I put my pencil down, and I pull out my phone to check it out. 

Meet me @ my house after school - J. 

I roll my eyes and ignore the text message. I see the time and I only have like 15 minutes left for class and I continue drawing the light sketches on the paper. I feel my heart racing at the thought of me going to my exs house, but my emotional attachment keeps me from moving on. I feel my hands starting to sweat, and I stop working to avoid the sketch smearing.